Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by holy chromoly, I decided to build up an '08 Kona Kapu. I picked up the NOS frame for cheap and decided to hang '09 Campy Centaur on it. I am very impressed by the weight and quality of the Deda frame and Kona fork. The paint, chrome and decals are beautiful. As previously reported here, this frame has its quirks like a JIS 27mm fork crown collar and the necessity of long reach brakes. I really like the shape of the new Campy hoods, the light action on the shifts and the fact that you can still get a quality gruppo in alloy. I finished the neo/retro look with Aksium wheels with Conti 25's and an Easton cockpit.

So far, the bike rolls like butta. Very smooth. Not too heavy, but not crazy light. Installing the new Campy brifters was a chore due to the cable routing, which had bigman and me scratching our heads for a bit. But in the end, I'm really pleased with this ride. This is my fourth Kona (Dew, Paddy Wagon, and Jake) and I think their products offer exceptional value with a bit of quirkiness thrown in for the roadie gang.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Fantastic build!

The alloy Campy levers are an essential touch, I think carbon levers on such a frame would look out of place. Smooth - not too heavy - not to light: is the best way to describe this bike.

These clearance NOS Kapu frames are such finds.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
994 Posts
bigman said:
Rig looks better in person!
Yup!
Photos don't do these Kapu bikes justice, gotta seem them in person. They just have this glow to the orange and the black parts look good in person against the chrome lugs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice Rig!

I love the Campy! I built mine up pretty close to the stock Kona build but with a compact crank and Easton wheels but the Campy is special.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts