Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's gotten so bad that there are now 1 inch long streaks on my scandium stem that have popped off anodizing after a mere 1200 miles. I've resorted to cleaning the areas as best as possible and painting them with automotive black touch up paint (followed by Boeshield), which is a temporary solution at best. Despite this the stem looks like total crap now and the corrosion looks to be more than superficial. I may eventually just try walnut shell blasting and repainting it. It concerns me enough though to have ordered a carbon stem because if this scandium stem fails I'm going to break my collar bone as I'm just lucky like that.

I'm not blaming KCNC specifically because the brake release buttons on my record levers look almost as bad, but at least they're not a structural component. FYI this is on carbon frame.

Anyone else experience this?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Individual

DrSmile said:
It's gotten so bad that there are now 1 inch long streaks on my scandium stem that have popped off anodizing after a mere 1200 miles. I've resorted to cleaning the areas as best as possible and painting them with automotive black touch up paint (followed by Boeshield), which is a temporary solution at best. Despite this the stem looks like total crap now and the corrosion looks to be more than superficial. I may eventually just try walnut shell blasting and repainting it. It concerns me enough though to have ordered a carbon stem because if this scandium stem fails I'm going to break my collar bone as I'm just lucky like that.

I'm not blaming KCNC specifically because the brake release buttons on my record levers look almost as bad, but at least they're not a structural component. FYI this is on carbon frame.

Anyone else experience this?
Different people have different sweat properties, and some people's sweat is very corrosive. 1200 miles seems awfully quick and suggests that the anodizing or whatever coating was on there was not continuous and allowed the sweat to penetrate through holes.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I should stop drinking Windex? :)

I'll post some pics once it corrodes again. It's not just the annodizing that's coming off, I'm actually getting divots in the stem from the sweat where the aluminum is exposed.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
russotto said:
If you're sweating ammonia, that will attack the anodized surface. If that's the case, it's probably best to fix by figuring out why you're sweating ammonia and fixing that.
The guys in the gym who were doing those high protein type diets like 1g+ protein per # bodyweight always seemed to smell like ammonia when sweating. Just a correlation I'd noticed when I'd hear them talk about dietary habits and when they worked out. Whether that relates to this, probably not but it jogged a memory cell. ;)

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok this has gotten worse... I contacted the shop where I got it from to see what they can do.

The non-corroded part on top is where my computer was mounted.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headset is fine, so is the cap and the bars (which are also scandium). This seems to be an issue with the stem itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.