Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of upgrading my Campy veloce brake calipers... is KCNC calipers better than Veloce's in terms of weight and braking performance?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I run veloce brakes on my commuter and am not as personally familiar with KCNC...but my opinion would be=there are better upgrades that can be made....

a quick search on kcnc shows that most models are $300+ ...you could prob score some new shifters or rear der. for that...better weight savings and more noticeable difference for your ride....sorry to sidestep the question...who brakes anyway? good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
You'll save around 150-170 grams, which is significant. The braking is differant but better or worse depends on whether you like quick stopping power or a more progressive gradual modulation.

As for a better upgrade, I would look into replacing wheels before brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys,

repartocorse40:

My bike's components are Campy Centaur, except for the brakes and front derailleur.... that's why I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes for now... Any other brakes that you recommend? Maybe get Centaur ones? Oh, and where I live, I do need brakes :p



raymonda:

Wow, 150-170grams are quite significant! Would you think that the KCNC's are more for quick stopping power or progressive gradual modulation? The wheels I've upgraded to Shamals; and as mentioned above, the brakes and the front derailleur are what I'm thinking of upgrading...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,636 Posts
Significance

raymonda said:
You'll save around 150-170 grams, which is significant.
How is it significant? It will result in virtually no increase in speed, even when climbing. That savings would be significant if you were 10 seconds out of the leader's jersey and it was the last long climb of a grand tour. Otherwise it's only "significant" to those keeping track of weight. Just saying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
KCNC brakes work fine. They aren't great, nor do they suck. C+/B- grade IMO. I have them on my Ridley. They're hella light and look really flipping cool though.

They aren't the Mavic brakes I took off, that's for sure, but they do the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
How is it significant? It will result in virtually no increase in speed, even when climbing. That savings would be significant if you were 10 seconds out of the leader's jersey and it was the last long climb of a grand tour. Otherwise it's only "significant" to those keeping track of weight. Just saying.
150 grams here, 150 grams there and before you know it you've lost 1-2 lbs. Almost every item could be discounted using your logic, e.g., why get a different stem, handlebar, post, etc. you are only saving 50-150- grams. Add it up and it means something, at least to some of us but obviously not you Kerry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
upgrading

raymonda said:
150 grams here, 150 grams there and before you know it you've lost 1-2 lbs. Almost every item could be discounted using your logic, e.g., why get a different stem, handlebar, post, etc. you are only saving 50-150- grams. Add it up and it means something, at least to some of us but obviously not you Kerry.
Not sure I buy into that upgrade logic. You spend $300 there, $200 here, $500 there, etc and yes you end up saving a pound or two but you've also spend a ton of dough. Why not save the money up and then just buy the bike you want with the stufff you want and it will probably be cheaper. I think the search for the holy grail of weight savings is an endless exercise that goes nowhere. I don't know anyone that has gone from pack fodder to butt-kicking dynamo just because they swapped a couple of parts. If you are at an elite level maybe it has to be, but not for most of us.
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
30,948 Posts
raymonda said:
150 grams here, 150 grams there and before you know it you've lost 1-2 lbs. Almost every item could be discounted using your logic, e.g., why get a different stem, handlebar, post, etc. you are only saving 50-150- grams. Add it up and it means something, at least to some of us but obviously not you Kerry.

Let us see here... 2 pounds is roughly what a little over 1 percent of the body mass of a "normal" 170lb male rider? And that is presuming a large weight savings over many components.

If functionality is the same, i.e. stopping power--why bother spending an extra few hundred $$$$$$ on something that is insignificant in normal usage?

Unless you're lifting your bike up flights of stairs, it is unlikely you will notice even 2 pounds of weight savings on the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Let us see here... 2 pounds is roughly what a little over 1 percent of the body mass of a "normal" 170lb male rider? And that is presuming a large weight savings over many components.

If functionality is the same, i.e. stopping power--why bother spending an extra few hundred $$$$$$ on something that is insignificant in normal usage?

Unless you're lifting your bike up flights of stairs, it is unlikely you will notice even 2 pounds of weight savings on the bike.
Why buy a new bike if the old one rolls down the street? Because you want to and you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
bentley07 said:
Im thinking of upgrading my Campy veloce brake calipers... is KCNC calipers better than Veloce's in terms of weight and braking performance?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
If you do this, and the Veloce's are dual pivot design, I might be interested in buying the used Veloce's from you...
 

·
Matnlely Dregaend
Joined
·
4,933 Posts
raymonda said:
150 grams here, 150 grams there and before you know it you've lost 1-2 lbs.
I just stepped out of the bathroom after a 20 minute newspaper reading Saturday morning "power session" and I couldn't agree more! :aureola:

My suggestion is to upgrade by reducing rotating mass... tires, wheels, pedals, chain, crank, cassette, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JoelS said:
If you do this, and the Veloce's are dual pivot design, I might be interested in buying the used Veloce's from you...
Hi JoelS,

Sorry for being a newbie here, but is mine a dual pivot design that you're referring to?



If it is, then I'll let you know when I've decided on what brakes I'm getting to replace it.

As for the weight saving, I know that 150g is not significant in terms of performance/making you go faster (especially for us mere mortals), hence why I asked about the braking performance between the veloce's and KCNC's. But it is quite a number if you're talking on the 'weightweenies' forum :p

Thanks! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
I have DA 7800 brakes at the moment and I am thinking of getting some KCNC brakes, 1 for the bling factor, 2 for the weight savings, and 3 cause I can. Asside from the 3 reasons which would be the better brake system?

cheers

Ralph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
ralph1 said:
I have DA 7800 brakes at the moment and I am thinking of getting some KCNC brakes, 1 for the bling factor, 2 for the weight savings, and 3 cause I can. Asside from the 3 reasons which would be the better brake system?

cheers

Ralph
You already have the best brake system. You are spending money because it is fun, not because you are going to be able to get better brakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
ralph1 said:
I have DA 7800 brakes at the moment and I am thinking of getting some KCNC brakes, 1 for the bling factor, 2 for the weight savings, and 3 cause I can. Asside from the 3 reasons which would be the better brake system?

cheers

Ralph
DA 7800 are SLIGHTLY, SLIGHT better in power and fell. But the KCNC brakes are very good and lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
he wants to upgrade brakes so let him. hes not asking how to make his bike faster. 150g is signifcant when your talking about upgrading a component that is already light compared to the crank/frame/wheels. and those KCNC brakes are sweet. gonna be on my next bike.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top