Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what I could do to keep my bike frame looking as new as possible for as long as possible. My bike is a viper red in color. It's a 1999 C-dale R500D. Can I use car wax? If so, what kind? Also, how many miles before the bike needs a tune-up? Thanks to all..........Justin :D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Justin, you can get a good claener/wax at your local bike shop that carries Pedro's stuff. It''s called "bike lust" and cleans and waxes your bike. If it's really dirty I use either Dawn dish detergent or car wash. Tune up? I never take it for a tuneup. Just check your cables periodically to make sure they aren't loose, lube your chain frequently, check tire pressures (I do this on practically every ride), and if the derailer isn't shifting properly and you aren't familiar enough to adjust it yourself, take it to the shop. If you really feel the need to take it for a tuneup, I'd do it after evry 1k miles or so.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Whay I do is....

....clean witha degreaser like Simple Green or a citrus based product.For the frame you can cut it to half strength for most needs.If it's really dirty or has alot of road grime you can use it straight .After wiping it clean I use Furniture polish like Pledge or Behold to shine it up and lightly wax so next time you clean it it's easier.You also get a lemony fresh smell. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
bike lust on Carbon?

Is it ok to use the bike lust on carbon fiber seat stays, fork, etc?

Kram59 said:
Justin, you can get a good claener/wax at your local bike shop that carries Pedro's stuff. It''s called "bike lust" and cleans and waxes your bike. If it's really dirty I use either Dawn dish detergent or car wash. Tune up? I never take it for a tuneup. Just check your cables periodically to make sure they aren't loose, lube your chain frequently, check tire pressures (I do this on practically every ride), and if the derailer isn't shifting properly and you aren't familiar enough to adjust it yourself, take it to the shop. If you really feel the need to take it for a tuneup, I'd do it after evry 1k miles or so.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Why not? It's just a silicone cleaner. I've used it on the past 3 cf bikes I've had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.