Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking my bike to the shop for some adjustments tomorrow afternoon. But, to make it their on time, I would have to keep my bike in a hot car in the sun all day. Would this be bad for the bike, tires, etc.?

· Banned
92 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is the tire pressure expanding and blowing your tires and I wouldn't worry too much about that either. I leave my bike in my truck at work in Phoenix in the summer without incident.

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
The heat reached in a car under direct sunlight will not do any harm to even the soft rubbers that can be found on your bike, let alone any carbon fiber, aluminum or steel contact points.

Crack the windows and maybe put cover the inside of the winshield/rear window with a reflective/white material if you are really worried. Honestly, it will be fine.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Yer kidding, right??

It's steel/al/ti or CF fer chrissakes. It ain't chocolate or ice cream or a dog or a kid.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Hey, I'd call VPS (Velo Protective Services) if I saw a bike trapped in a car without the A/C on. That poor bike. Think of what that heat would do to the water in the water bottle!! It'd get warm! :D

· Registered
1,808 Posts
if you're really worried, cover it with a sheet or towels to protect from the direct sunlight. I had a CO2 cartridge blow my black saddlepack apart 2 summers ago.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Don't let homeland security find out about that!

· Registered
1,808 Posts
JohnniO said:
I think drinking the warm water from the water bottle could make you grow tits. This could be bad or good.
most humans already come equipped with tits, if i remember anatomy class.
not good, not bad, just fact.

· 25yr Houston-Austin MS150
224 Posts
I'm in Texas, so I'm well-acquainted with how hot it gets in a car in summer. One of my bikes "lives" in my car, just in case I get time for a ride at lunch. I *have* lost some frame decals to heat. The adhesive melts, and believe it or not, gravity makes the decals migrate downwards. If this would ruin your day, you might want to apply a nice thick coat of wax.

(I've also lost inner tubes to exploding. Now, I always let a little air out at the end of each ride)

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
curtw said:
I'm in Texas, so I'm well-acquainted with how hot it gets in a car in summer. One of my bikes "lives" in my car, just in case I get time for a ride at lunch. I *have* lost some frame decals to heat. The adhesive melts, and believe it or not, gravity makes the decals migrate downwards. If this would ruin your day, you might want to apply a nice thick coat of wax.

(I've also lost inner tubes to exploding. Now, I always let a little air out at the end of each ride)
The bike is currently in my car. I did let a lot of the air out of the tires this morning though.

· Registered
401 Posts
"Results showed that a parked car without the use of a sunshade experienced extreme heat with the dashboard heating up to 192°F, high enough to cook a chicken and the steering wheel topping out at 191°F, high enough to grill a hamburger.

In fact, a car parked in direct sunlight with closed windows can heat up to alarming temperatures in just minutes. The average temperature on the dashboard in a car without a sunshade, after fifteen minutes, reached 149°F.

The testing further revealed that, in the same extreme conditions, a car using an accordion style sunshade in the windshield was able to keep the dashboard surfaces an average of 43° F cooler.

Source: http://www.auto-expressions.net/pr_sun_protect.htm

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Helmet foam can be damaged by high temps. Take that puppy inside. Your bike has much higher tolerances but a really hot sunny day with dark interior might be a risk to CF bonding agents or rubber parts.

I hope theft isn't a concern because a bike in a car is like a "please break in" sign

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.