Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading about it on this site for a few years, i've started to use two chains on my bikes so i can easily swap them out every few hundred miles with a clean one, and to lengthen the life of my cassets and chainrings...

my question is, how do you store the chain you are not using. i was planning to simply clean the chain, coat with white lightning and put in a plastic zip lock, but am worried about possible rusting (not sure if it would happen or not)... looking for your thoughts on how you store your extra chains when not in use. i think c-40 seems to be the resident expert on chains, so hopefully he'll chime in...

thanks all in advance...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

The last step in my cleaning process is a hot water rinse. To remove the water and lube the chain, I use either my regular homebrew or WD-40. Let it hang for a day, then put it in a ziplock bag. White Lightning - wouldn't be my choice for a lube.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
C-40 said:
The last step in my cleaning process is a hot water rinse. To remove the water and lube the chain, I use either my regular homebrew or WD-40. Let it hang for a day, then put it in a ziplock bag. White Lightning - wouldn't be my choice for a lube.
WD-40?

yer chain's gonna 'splode. :D

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
danl1 said:
WD-40?

yer chain's gonna 'splode. :D
He's not lubing it w/ the WD40, he's using it for it's intended purpose, water displacement and light, protective coating of oil (as opposed to actual lubrication). It's a common use - for coating things for storage. I spray down a lot of the parts on my outboard and boat with WD40 in the fall.

Myself, I've never thought much of storing old chains, I just put them in the bag. But they are oily - normal chain oil - not dry just from normal circumstances when I take them off.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Puchnuts said:
Here's the low-down on WD-40 and chains:

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/
Why do so many people badmouth / dislike WD 40? I've used it for many years without ill effect. As far as I can tell, nothing I've ever used it on has accumulated more dirt, worn out faster, or operated more smoothly than when other lube has been used. IME, it's also a very good cleaner as well as water displacer.

So.....I gotta ask.....what's wrong with it? And please, when you tell me what's wrong with it, submit some PROOF that you have that's been documented by some independent testing lab. Don't tell me stuff like, "Well, everybody knows..." No, I don't know. I honestly don't know if WD 40 is better or worse than other lubes. The link provided by Puchnuts is another example of anecdotal baloney. (and I'm not slamming Puchnuts). Who is this guy that says WD40 is no good? Is he an expert? In what? Is he a chemist that specializes in lubrication? He's photographed in a setting that would imply that he's a bike mechanic. What he says offers absolutely no proof that WD40 is either wonderful or horrible. I think he has an opinion, but I doubt if he can either prove or disprove what he's saying. It's just that...his opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. We all have them.

My real problem is that people state things like they are absolute fact, when in actuality they have no scientific data to support their claims. We all do this from time - to time, at least I do, and if anyone calls on me to "prove it", I have to admit, I can't. It was really just my opinion. So, I don't know why I have this irrational, emotional allergy to this sort of thing, but maybe in a previous incarnation I was from Missouri, the show me state.

I'm not a big fan of WD40. I don't hate WD40. It does seem to be a topic that ignites passions on either side.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i'm coming out of the closet to,,,,

Mr. Versatile said:
Why do so many people badmouth / dislike WD 40? I've used it for many years without ill effect. As far as I can tell, nothing I've ever used it on has accumulated more dirt, worn out faster, or operated more smoothly than when other lube has been used. IME, it's also a very good cleaner as well as water displacer.

So.....I gotta ask.....what's wrong with it? And please, when you tell me what's wrong with it, submit some PROOF that you have that's been documented by some independent testing lab. Don't tell me stuff like, "Well, everybody knows..." No, I don't know. I honestly don't know if WD 40 is better or worse than other lubes. The link provided by Puchnuts is another example of anecdotal baloney. (and I'm not slamming Puchnuts). Who is this guy that says WD40 is no good? Is he an expert? In what? Is he a chemist that specializes in lubrication? He's photographed in a setting that would imply that he's a bike mechanic. What he says offers absolutely no proof that WD40 is either wonderful or horrible. I think he has an opinion, but I doubt if he can either prove or disprove what he's saying. It's just that...his opinion. Nothing wrong with having an opinion. We all have them.

My real problem is that people state things like they are absolute fact, when in actuality they have no scientific data to support their claims. We all do this from time - to time, at least I do, and if anyone calls on me to "prove it", I have to admit, I can't. It was really just my opinion. So, I don't know why I have this irrational, emotional allergy to this sort of thing, but maybe in a previous incarnation I was from Missouri, the show me state.

I'm not a big fan of WD40. I don't hate WD40. It does seem to be a topic that ignites passions on either side.
i also use similar products to wd-40. it does not gunk up and collect grit. it displaces water. it has an anti corrosive elemant. it cleans. it does lube. it may not last as long as all the bike specific lubes but i don't need to pull my chain off to get out grit and grime. i give it a good spray and wipe the day before a ride and all is good. i live and ride near a coast so the anti corrosive factor is important to me. my chain does not squeak as it is easy to clean and lube so it gets done regularly which all chains should.imo. i don't put some heavy, well advertised gunk on my chain and try to get endless km's out of it. a quick easy squirt and wipe, 5mins. and good to go.:thumbsup:
all my own opinion.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I am terribly compulsive about my chains, but have never been a chain 'rotater'. I never take my chain off the bike until 1 January, when I install a new chain. Usually get a new chain(s) for Christmas.
After every ride, I run the chain through a rag with WD-40 on it until grime is on the rag and chain is shiny. Dribble on Home Brew and wipe until clean and dry. Good to Go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts