Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a small issue with the speed sensor staying in place on the fork. The fork is a carbon Fuji FC330 and is a tapered flat blade style. The pick up for the computer has a rubber piece on the sensor and uses two zip ties to be secured. Because the fork is thicker at the top and smaller below, the sensor creeps down the fork leg no matter how tight I make the zip ties.

Ideas on a solution?

Thanks,
Jon

This is a photo of the fork (Not mine, mine is black) but you get the idea. Could I mount the sensor on the rear part of the frame? does a wireless computer pick up that far?

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
You could mount the sensor on your chainstay / rear wheel, or you can put a piece of double-sided foam tape behind the sensor to stop the creep.

Most sensors put out a strong enough signal to be read from the rear wheel. This has the added benefit of working on a stationary trainer.

·
Registered
23,032 Posts
I always cut a piece of old tube about 2" long. Then slide that sleeve over the fork and mount the sensor on top. It gives it more grip and the zip ties can really dig into the rubber all the way around. Plus it also protects the paint on your fork.
I've never had a sensor move with this method.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I always cut a piece of old tube about 2" long. Then slide that sleeve over the fork and mount the sensor on top. It gives it more grip and the zip ties can really dig into the rubber all the way around. Plus it also protects the paint on your fork.
I've never had a sensor move with this method.
^^ditto^^ That's how I do it too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I used a wired computer I always ran the wire up the inside of the fork, fixing it in place with several dots of silicon sealer. I don't see why a dot or two of silicon on the inside of the fork zip ties would not affix the ties in place. The clear silicone is easily removed if you move the sensor. Now, a word of caution. I have only used the silicon on metal forks, not carbon. It seems to be a fairly benign substance, however, never leaving a single mark on paint. It simply rolls off with your finger, something like rubber cement. In my opinion, and those who have more experience with carbon than I will need to comment, it would not affect your clear coat anymore than it affects paint---which to my eye is not at all.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The best and cleanest solution is to just use a generous dab of hot glue to glue it on. I've done this at least 1/2 dozen times on various bikes.

It's really strong (I've never had one fall off), easy to remove (heat up with a hair dryer or gently with a heat gun), and doesn't damage the finish at all.

For wireless, I just use hot glue. For wired, I use hot glue on the sensor and then use clear tape on the wires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.