Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have suggestions for cleaning their white Pinarello? I have a Paris and it's a tough gig to keep clean. The Prince has alot of white also, some in tough areas around BB. Other forums have mentioned 'lemon pledge'. Is this a spray and wipe product or dilute with water product?

Ideas to avoidcable rub, removing marks from cable rub are appreciated also. Please share your experience.

Thanks in advance
 

·
likes shiny bikes
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
OscarTheGreat said:
Anyone have suggestions for cleaning their white Pinarello? I have a Paris and it's a tough gig to keep clean. The Prince has alot of white also, some in tough areas around BB. Other forums have mentioned 'lemon pledge'. Is this a spray and wipe product or dilute with water product?
Ideas to avoidcable rub, removing marks from cable rub are appreciated also. Please share your experience.
This is my ritual after every ride.

1) Get yourself a good quality work stand.
2) Pull your wheels off before any cleaning.
3) NEVER spray anything directly on bike especially near bb, ders, headset.
4) Start with a clean rag dampend with plain soapy water.
5) Wipe down bike. Use a different rag for the real nasty areas, brakes, ders, rings.
6) Using a 2nd rag, wipe down drive train thoroughly finshing with the chain.
7) With a fresh rag, spray wax based polish such as Pledge directly on rag (NEVER ON BIKE) and go over entire frame area.
I've been using Finish Line Teflon Bike Polish with good results.
8) Re-lube chain as needed (1 drop per link/wipe) and lube all other high friction pivot points of drivetrain & brakes.
9) Repeat steps with wheelset, never hitting them directly with running water.

Both the Paris & Prince have issues with cable contact.
Use a quality polishing compound to remove rub/friction marks & scratches.
For areas around the headtube where cables may come in contact, there are several remedies including simple low friction tape, rubber dounuts etc.
I prefer Tube Tops by Jagwire.
www.jagwireusa.com

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rhauft said:
This is my ritual after every ride.

1) Get yourself a good quality work stand.
2) Pull your wheels off before any cleaning.
3) NEVER spray anything directly on bike especially near bb, ders, headset.
4) Start with a clean rag dampend with plain soapy water.
5) Wipe down bike. Use a different rag for the real nasty areas, brakes, ders, rings.
6) Using a 2nd rag, wipe down drive train thoroughly finshing with the chain.
7) With a fresh rag, spray wax based polish such as Pledge directly on rag (NEVER ON BIKE) and go over entire frame area.
I've been using Finish Line Teflon Bike Polish with good results.
8) Re-lube chain as needed (1 drop per link/wipe) and lube all other high friction pivot points of drivetrain & brakes.
9) Repeat steps with wheelset, never hitting them directly with running water.

Both the Paris & Prince have issues with cable contact.
Use a quality polishing compound to remove rub/friction marks & scratches.
For areas around the headtube where cables may come in contact, there are several remedies including simple low friction tape, rubber dounuts etc.
I prefer Tube Tops by Jagwire.
www.jagwireusa.com


Great reply. Thanks heaps, very helpful. Esp re: cable rubs fixes.
Your Paris Custom Paint looks brilliant.

A question regarding water directly to bike/BB etc. Alot of people mention this but never really why. What is the fear of water on a carbon bike and how does this effect riding in rain or downpours......or is this not advised with carbon bikes??
The reason I ask, I am about to start a large winter training block and may need to hang onto my old bike for wet weather perhaps. Thanks again.
 

·
likes shiny bikes
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
OscarTheGreat said:
What is the fear of water on a carbon bike and how does this effect riding in rain or downpours......or is this not advised with carbon bikes??
The reason I ask, I am about to start a large winter training block and may need to hang onto my old bike for wet weather perhaps. Thanks again.
My Paris IS my rain bike. There is no issue to water on a carbon bike.
The issue is water/moisture/contamination getting into your bearings and degrading them. Your headset, bb, shifters, derailleurs & hubs all run on high precision roller bearings which are swimming in grease. Repeated hosings will flush out the grease and degrade the bearings = $$$

If I'm caught out in a squall and end up caked in mud & road grime (today), as soon as I get home I put the bike up on the stand, kick off the the hoops, cover the drive train with rags and give the frame a flush with water from a bucket, being careful to avoid areas of the bike with bearings. I just installed $200 in ceramic bearings to my headset and I'd hate have to pay for them twice.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top