Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of ATT and gonna ditch the iPhone and go to Verizon.

Which means Android.

What phone do you have/recommend?

Looking at the HTC Incredible, but I haven't actually played with any IRL.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Andrea...is that a Motorola?

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I want to make an addendum:

I have this phone now (with verizon)- it's waterproof/shockproof/dirtproof:

I want a smartphone, but I also want it to be as "rugged" as my current phone. What do I want?
This is a good phone. We issued this phone to a coworker who needed a rugged phone and it's still going strong after 3 years.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Tired of ATT and gonna ditch the iPhone and go to Verizon.

Which means Android.

What phone do you have/recommend?

Looking at the HTC Incredible, but I haven't actually played with any IRL.

The Incredible (DInc) is nice all the way around, and it's running 2.2. I'm not a big fan of the Motorolas but that's mostly me -- I don't like sliders. Big thing to look for, IMO, is to make sure it has at least a 1ghz CPU. A LOT of the newer devices have an 800mhz CPU -- some less than that -- which is fine for now but may preclude them from running newer versions of Android when they are released.

I have a Nexus One with T-Mobile. Just saw that Android 2.2.1 is being pushed. It's sweet having Google's dev platform and stock Android. Means that I get all of the latest updates without having to wait for the carriers to screw with them. If T-Mobile is an option, I'd hold out for the MyTouch HD. It should be out soon and will sport either dual 1ghz CPUs or it will be dual core (the data is foggy on that front).

The Samsung Galaxy S line is pretty nice but two of our folks that have them are complaining about GPS problems and they're not up to 2.2 yet.

I do like the DInc though. It's biggest problem isn't the phone, it's the sh*t Verizon disables and wh*res you to turn back on. Like wifi tethering. HTC makes nice phones.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
KenB said:
...It's biggest problem isn't the phone, it's the sh*t Verizon disables and wh*res you to turn back on. Like wifi tethering.
Is Verizon still doing that crap? I've cursed them for crippling my old Moto V750. When are they going to learn?

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
Are you an Intl traveler? If so you might want to hold off on the switch for a month or so. The Droid Pro / WE should be hitting the market in the next month or so...

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Roebuck,

you should wait til November......The HTC Merge is coming out then for Verizon...

Over 1 Ghz processor, and 10MP camera........2.2 Android. 4.3 inch screen....

The thing looks like it will RAWK...

That's what I'm waiting for.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
KWL said:
Is Verizon still doing that crap? I've cursed them for crippling my old Moto V750. When are they going to learn?
all the cell companies do that.....my contacts list on my US Cellular Motorola has ALL the physical addresses BUT they are not visible from the phone...but from the computer I can see them...

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Everything seems to point to Verizon getting the iPhone in January. I have the Incredible now. I like it a lot. It is very fast, although the 2.2 upgrade makes it a little slower. I've never had a problem with Verizon's service in LA.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
PDex said:
Everything seems to point to Verizon getting the iPhone in January. I have the Incredible now. I like it a lot. It is very fast, although the 2.2 upgrade makes it a little slower. I've never had a problem with Verizon's service in LA.
there's been iphone/verizon rumors ever since the iphone came out

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
roscoe said:
there's been iphone/verizon rumors ever since the iphone came out

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it
Apple placed a huge CDMA chipset order with Qualcomm this summer. There's also some indication in the firmware beta - a "hole" in the activation scheme. These holes have shown up ....right about the same time a new iPhone goes into testing. Also Verizon's CEO will be the keynote at CES this year; likely unveiling their 4G network. Yes, I know that CES is not an Apple event, and Apple has never officially attended, but it makes sense for Verizon to unveil the network first, and then unveil the iPhone a couple weeks later at Macworld.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
physasst said:
Roebuck,

you should wait til November......The HTC Merge is coming out then for Verizon...

Over 1 Ghz processor, and 10MP camera........2.2 Android. 4.3 inch screen....

The thing looks like it will RAWK...

That's what I'm waiting for.

This. I just hope Verizon doesn't pull their crap like they've done with the new Samsungs.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
all the cell companies do that.....my contacts list on my US Cellular Motorola has ALL the physical addresses BUT they are not visible from the phone...but from the computer I can see them...

Not all. T-Mobile is pretty good at not screwing the users by disabling stuff. So far.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
KenB said:
This. I just hope Verizon doesn't pull their crap like they've done with the new Samsungs.
Isn't that the price you pay for reliability and usability? I've also felt the reason Verizon works so dame well is because they only release features they can fully support.

IME

Len

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
PDex said:
Apple placed a huge CDMA chipset order with Qualcomm this summer. There's also some indication in the firmware beta - a "hole" in the activation scheme. These holes have shown up ....right about the same time a new iPhone goes into testing. Also Verizon's CEO will be the keynote at CES this year; likely unveiling their 4G network. Yes, I know that CES is not an Apple event, and Apple has never officially attended, but it makes sense for Verizon to unveil the network first, and then unveil the iPhone a couple weeks later at Macworld.

Verizon's CEO just came out the other day regarding the iPhone and it wasn't good news.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/24/what-if-verizon-never-gets-an-iphone/

I've been saying all along that I'd be surprised if Verizon gets the iPhone. For starters, they want too much control over the phone itself and I don't see Apple caving on that. Then they've been spitting on Apple with the Droid ads. That right there is reason enough for Jobs to withhold the iPhone from Verizon.

There are something like 300 million subscribers in Asia who are on CDMA networks. My money is on that being the target market for CDMA iPhones. My money is that the iPhone comes to T-Mobile before it gets to Verizon. It makes sense from a technology standpoint and could also be why T-Mobile has cooled a bit regarding Android, especially considering that they were the first carrier with a real Android device.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
KenB said:
Verizon's CEO just came out the other day regarding the iPhone and it wasn't good news.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/24/what-if-verizon-never-gets-an-iphone/

I've been saying all along that I'd be surprised if Verizon gets the iPhone. For starters, they want too much control over the phone itself and I don't see Apple caving on that. Then they've been spitting on Apple with the Droid ads. That right there is reason enough for Jobs to withhold the iPhone from Verizon.

There are something like 300 million subscribers in Asia who are on CDMA networks. My money is on that being the target market for CDMA iPhones. My money is that the iPhone comes to T-Mobile before it gets to Verizon. It makes sense from a technology standpoint and could also be why T-Mobile has cooled a bit regarding Android, especially considering that they were the first carrier with a real Android device.
Excellent points and good information. I would have thought that a deal between Verizon and Apple would have been set before making such an order. Cold feet on Verizon's part? Android has ramped up very quickly - more quickly than I imagined. With RIMs continued mis-steps, we likely to see consolidation of providers and OS with Verizon/Android vs. Everyone else and iOS. I guess Sprint is in there somewhere.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts