Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any differences other than weight? The guy at the local bike shop said the main advantage of the carbon is the 'feel' when pedaling. Can you really feel any difference? I will be using them with Sidi Genius 5 shoes on a mainly carbon bike (including carbon cranks). I will probably end up with carbon due to 'cool' factor, but just curious if there is any truth that carbon pedals would 'feel' better. Thanks!

·
Registered
650 Posts
MCF said:
The guy at the local bike shop said the main advantage of the carbon is the 'feel' when pedaling.
Look should hire him. Did he come up with that on the spot or does he pitch that to everyone?

There is no difference other than that the carbon pedals will make both bike and wallet lighter.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
Don't know about "Feel" but the mech. on the Carbon is different than the Classic. If you are a heavy (180+) rider stay away from the Ti spindles. I put Carbon's on my Colnago and also have Sidi 5.5 carbon shoes, and well, they don't feel that much different than one of my other bikes with Look PP396's and Diadora's, other than the 396's squeek and creak to the point of distraction.

·
Registered
125 Posts
classic all the way. ive had mine for 3 years and they work like the day i bought them. i work at a shop and i cant tell you the amount of people that come in complaining about the carbons becuase they break or they just hate them in general. sometimes simple is better.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
That shop guy is a moron. The differences are:

The Carbons have two cartridge bearings and a bushing; the Classic one bushing and one bearing. The Carbon system is more durable, with the load spread out over a wider area.
Because of this, the pedal platform itself is a little wider.

The Carbons have higher base spring tension and higher max tension. Something like 10-15 NM vs. 8-12 for the Classics.

IMO the Carbons with the steel spindle are the best in the market..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone done an overhaul on their Keo's?

I've an older pair of Carbon Ti Keo's that have well over 10,000 hard miles on them and would like to at least take them apart and relube. I've done a lube job on Shimano SPD pedals in the past and found it pretty straightforward, so long as one has the correct tool for taking the pedal apart. Anyone have info or a source of info on opening up a Keo...what tools and where to get and if a bearing replacement is logical or just a relube.

Thanks.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
morkm said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone done an overhaul on their Keo's?

I've an older pair of Carbon Ti Keo's that have well over 10,000 hard miles on them and would like to at least take them apart and relube.
I don't think anyone has had too yet... They're put into a machine for like 100 hours at 10000 rpm nonstop. They're pre-broken-in, and if you need to overhaul, you just gotta send them in since they take the special shape to unscrew.

But in all reality, I think overhaul on these pedals is something you probably won't do for a good decade.

I have the Ti and they've been excellent for me. Stiff enough for my anorexia.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
According to Look's website-

Tension range on Classic is 9-15NM vs 10-18NM for Carbon.

BTW- I picked up Classics last year to try Keo system. Trouble free- and a bit easier to clip in than Shimano's but not as easy as CrankBros road pedals. Just picked up some new "Keo Grip" (walkable) cleats to try.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any more chance of pedal smack with Keo's vs. my current Quattros? I have only touch my quattro pedal through a corner once (didn't like that much) and don't want to introduce a problem I don't have...

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I've never bottomed mine out, and my frame has a lower BB than more frames. Using 172.5mm cranks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just overhauled mine.

morkm said:

I've an older pair of Carbon Ti Keo's that have well over 10,000 hard miles on them and would like to at least take them apart and relube. I've done a lube job on Shimano SPD pedals in the past and found it pretty straightforward, so long as one has the correct tool for taking the pedal apart. Anyone have info or a source of info on opening up a Keo...what tools and where to get and if a bearing replacement is logical or just a relube.

Thanks.
I wrote LOOK asking them if there was a manuel available for maintaining my Keo Sprint pedals, this was there response:

Thank you for the email.

Unfortunately there is not an exact manual for maintaining pedals. That
being said, I have my own recommendations.

Once a year pull the axles out of the body of the pedals by unscrewing them.
Clean the axle off, removing all the grease with a shop rag. Clean the
inside of the pedal body off as well. A Qtip works best here.

Apply new grease, to the axle and screw the axle back into the body (5nm).

Spin them around for a while in your hand or on the bike to work the grease
in the pedal body.

Should be good as new.
Thanks
Chris

Christopher Wehan
LOOK Cycle USA
Inside Sales Representative
Phone 866 430 5665 x111
Fax 408 363 8563
Web www.lookcycle-usa.com

They even sent me an adapter to unscrew the pedal bodies, Great Customer Service :thumbsup:

·
Registered
515 Posts
MaestroXC said:
That shop guy is a moron. The differences are:

The Carbons have two cartridge bearings and a bushing; the Classic one bushing and one bearing. The Carbon system is more durable, with the load spread out over a wider area.
Because of this, the pedal platform itself is a little wider.

The Carbons have higher base spring tension and higher max tension. Something like 10-15 NM vs. 8-12 for the Classics.

IMO the Carbons with the steel spindle are the best in the market..
+1 Own two pairs of the Keo Carbons (cromolly spindle) and range in weight from 210lbs-230 lbs over the years I've riden them. They rock.

Cannot speak to the Classics, but doubt it would be as durable with one less bearing.

Get your Carbons on E-bay (new). I found both of my there way less than the online retailers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Stumpjumper FSR said:
I wrote LOOK asking them if there was a manuel available for maintaining my Keo Sprint pedals, this was there response:

Thank you for the email.

Unfortunately there is not an exact manual for maintaining pedals. That
being said, I have my own recommendations.

Once a year pull the axles out of the body of the pedals by unscrewing them.
Clean the axle off, removing all the grease with a shop rag. Clean the
inside of the pedal body off as well. A Qtip works best here.

Apply new grease, to the axle and screw the axle back into the body (5nm).

Spin them around for a while in your hand or on the bike to work the grease
in the pedal body.

Should be good as new.
Thanks
Chris

Christopher Wehan
LOOK Cycle USA
Inside Sales Representative
Phone 866 430 5665 x111
Fax 408 363 8563
Web www.lookcycle-usa.com

They even sent me an adapter to unscrew the pedal bodies, Great Customer Service :thumbsup:
What's the adaptor look like?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks...

drewmcg said:
+1 Own two pairs of the Keo Carbons (cromolly spindle) and range in weight from 210lbs-230 lbs over the years I've riden them. They rock.

Cannot speak to the Classics, but doubt it would be as durable with one less bearing.

Get your Carbons on E-bay (new). I found both of my there way less than the online retailers.
My only concern with the carbons is that sometimes I lay the bike on it's side never on concrete though....grass only if necessary).....one reason I went with a set of alloy bars. Only two things touch the ground when you lay it on it's side...pedal and bars. Also, I keep the bike inside and it seems like if I am going to smack anything getting it in and out of the door, it always seems to be the pedal. And what if the bike falls over - anyone crack a set of carbon pedals? Any issue of reliability (not riding, say, abuse) with the carbon pedal??

·
Registered
515 Posts
MCF said:
My only concern with the carbons is that sometimes I lay the bike on it's side never on concrete though....grass only if necessary).....one reason I went with a set of alloy bars. Only two things touch the ground when you lay it on it's side...pedal and bars. Also, I keep the bike inside and it seems like if I am going to smack anything getting it in and out of the door, it always seems to be the pedal. And what if the bike falls over - anyone crack a set of carbon pedals? Any issue of reliability (not riding, say, abuse) with the carbon pedal??
Done all that--many, many times. Never did any harm to the Carbons . . . .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.