Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this and thought what a cool contraption.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had this done as part of a comprehensive bike fit. I broke my foot playing baseball in highschool and it is rather toed in. My cleat on that side is also toed in to make to make the knee, hip, ankle track in a straight line. It gave a reading of 4.5 degrees of toe in. The thing that I found interesting is that he recommended I install a red cleat on the bad foot and leave the grey one on the other. I know I never would have tried that on my own. Although I never felt I had a problem on that side(previous bike fit) I do feel better. Really simple to do just ride.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, interesting. I want to do it just for the hell of it....I mean I don't have any problems, but why not get it really dialed in. Only good can come of it.

I had this done as part of a comprehensive bike fit. I broke my foot playing baseball in highschool and it is rather toed in. My cleat on that side is also toed in to make to make the knee, hip, ankle track in a straight line. It gave a reading of 4.5 degrees of toe in. The thing that I found interesting is that he recommended I install a red cleat on the bad foot and leave the grey one on the other. I know I never would have tried that on my own. Although I never felt I had a problem on that side(previous bike fit) I do feel better. Really simple to do just ride.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I understand what you mean but a word of caution, it is only a tool and in the wrong hands can cause you problems. I am not sure it is worth it on its own if your are not having issues and are comfortable with your fit. On the other hand, if you have never been for a bike fit the whole process might be a worthwhile experience. I know some on here do not believe in bike fits but I have been twice and have benefitted each time but YMMV.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I have a few thoughts. I wonder how much it costs. I wonder how often I'd use it. I wonder how I've gotten along just fine without it since Look pedals 1st hit the market. It seems like the only time it would be needed is when you buy new shoes. For me that equates to once every 6-7 years.

Before clipless pedals we used toe clips & straps. Cleats were nailed into the sole of the shoes & once the cleat was engaged with the rear edge of the pedal that sucker wasn't going anywhere. Back "in the day" I'd have to make small adjustments by prying the cleat off the shoe & re nailing it to a better position. That's ever so much easier today because it can be done with the turn of a couple of screws.

Long story short-I think they probably work well. I've just never experienced the need for something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.