Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've used regular oldstyle Look delta cleats for more years than I care to remember, and never broken one. And I'm not real careful with them -- I walk in them a lot.

Just put new Keo pedals on my bike, and first ride -- the front tongue/lip of the left gray cleat snaps off. All right. I figure it's a freak accident. So I get another set of cleats, the red ones this time. First ride -- the front tongue/lip of the left red cleat cracks almost in two at the EXACT spot the first one broke.

Am I just having the world's worst freak bad luck, or is breaking a known problem with these things?

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
yup

Where you been?

I broke one about a week ago. Started out on a ride, and could not for the life of me clip in. Finally figured it out, same thing as you.

However, I've been using these for a couple of years, and this is the first break.

Maybe your shoe has a strange shape that is bending the cleat?

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I've been around.

I'm wondering if it's my click-in style. I'm used to doing it a certain way, long habit, but the different pedal/cleat take a different angle or technique, and I'm twisting it weird or something. Still, you'd think the things wouldn't break THAT easy.

Fixed said:
Where you been?

I broke one about a week ago. Started out on a ride, and could not for the life of me clip in. Finally figured it out, same thing as you.

However, I've been using these for a couple of years, and this is the first break.

Maybe your shoe has a strange shape that is bending the cleat?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I work in the plastic moullding industry. I'd love to see the break. I wouldn't mind betting that it's a manufacturing fault (I know that's probably no consellation to you). They're probably made in the far east by someone who's trying to make the things as cheaply as possible at the expense of quality.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
fastpedaler said:
I work in the plastic moullding industry. I'd love to see the break. I wouldn't mind betting that it's a manufacturing fault (I know that's probably no consellation to you). They're probably made in the far east by someone who's trying to make the things as cheaply as possible at the expense of quality.
I was looking for the old style cleats about 6 months ago and couldn't find them anywhere. A bike shop owner finally explained that Look dropped the company that made the cleats, and was looking for another manufacturer to get the contract. In the meantime, no one was making them. It's certainly possible that the new manufacturer is making lower quality cleats.

I got frustrated with Look and ended up switching my pedals to Shimano.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
Never had one break

I've been through about 4 pair with no breaks. When they get real worn they will chip and create an uneven edge but that is definitely an end-of-life thing. I use grey FWIW

·
Registered
65 Posts
fastpedaler said:
No, they should have been made in France; my guess is that it could have been a bad batch of pedals that they didn't catch? Or maybe it is how you are clipping in, or....?

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Could be a couple of other issues on top of the fact that the keo cleats aren't very robust.
- could be you need the red ones for more float
- on the higher end keo pedals (dont know about the classics or the sprint) they do have tension adjustment on the rear of the pedal - maybe loosen it a bit.

Been riding the reds for 4 years with no problem - they do wear out quickly from walking - get the cleat covers for this.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Look could easily sell the Keo's for half or even 1/4 of what they do. They will make up for it and more by selling so many cleats! The darned things wear out so fast it's ridiculous. I think they took thier cue from ink jet printer manufactuers- they make their money by selling 3 cents worth of ink for $29.99. I had a set of Keos for about 6 months, and based on that experience, I figuerd I would spend $200 on cleats for a $150 pedal over a 3-5 year period.

·
Registered
481 Posts
OES said:
OK, I've used regular oldstyle Look delta cleats for more years than I care to remember, and never broken one. And I'm not real careful with them -- I walk in them a lot.

Just put new Keo pedals on my bike, and first ride -- the front tongue/lip of the left gray cleat snaps off. All right. I figure it's a freak accident. So I get another set of cleats, the red ones this time. First ride -- the front tongue/lip of the left red cleat cracks almost in two at the EXACT spot the first one broke.

Am I just having the world's worst freak bad luck, or is breaking a known problem with these things?

Although they are not as durable as the regular Look cleats, two pairs should not break on the first ride at the same spot. Either it's a total freak accident or you are doing something wrong. Did you check to see if the pedal had proper clearance? Were the cleats tightened too much? Any excess material on the cleat or pedal?

I've put thousands of miles on Keo's and never had a break, only wear and tear.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I agree, it seems like a freak coincidence, or there is something else lending towards the problem--but I do think that the Keo cleats are the LEAST durable clipless cleats around--including the crappy generic or budget (ie: Wellgo) brands.

·
Musculo Med Doc
93 Posts
MarvinK,

I'd be real interested to hear your thoughts on the new Grip Cleats you've purchased.... As I see it (if I see it at all) d/t the accelerated cleat wear on the regular cleats, we all could eliminate the problem via the use of cleat covers. But, the New Grip cleats that you mention are marketed as being protective to the point of not having to buy covers!

What's your take?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had my keo's for a month now and got a chip in the left cleat as well - first ride. Luckily it isn't that bad and I have had no problems since then. I think they are made quite poorly compared to others I have ridden.

PDH - the classics do have a tension adjustment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.