Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this note in the retro-classic section which is probably incorrect ...

-------------------------

I've decided to update my vintage Campy SR pedals with a set of Keo Carbon pedals. I noticed the pedal doesn't thread into my Campy SR crank. I didn't want to force it as I'm concern it will damage the thread on the crank. In checking the thread on the crank, it is labeled as 9/16 x 20F. The manual for the Keo pedal shows 9/16 X 20. I checked the Campy pedal and there is a stamp of 9/16 X 20 on spindle.

Does the F on the crank signify a different thread resulting in the poor fitment?

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cxwrench said:
those should thread right in. you may want to have a shop run a tap through to chase the threads and take a look at them, but it should work. how did the old pedals come out? were they tight feeling while un-threading them?
---------------------------------------

The old pedal came out effortlessly ... they weren't tight as I was able to unscrew them with my fingers once they were loosened.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
xxl said:
Here, read this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch/browse_thread/thread/fdf11e590a0a185b

The "F" stands for "fine," as in "fine threads."
-------------------------

Thanks XXL ... based on that link, I will have to tap my crank in order to accommodate the pedal. I'll have to give it some serious thought on this. I bought the pedal thinking it was a straight forward swap without any type of modification.

The vintage Diego shoe with cleat was a pain to walk around in. I am also concern that the wear and tear imposed on the shoe and the challenges in getting replacement cleats has become an issue. I am hoping to be able to use my other shoes with Keo cleat with my vintage bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got the pedal fitted. I threaded the pedal in slowly as it was quite snug going in.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm a happy camper as I was somewhat concern that I've wasted money on pedals that are incompatible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts