Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently developed a little discomfort on the outside of my right knee. I have about 400 miles on a new bike and stupidly switched from my stock saddle to my old saddle and put the 'old' saddle about an 1/2" too high and too far back. Within 10 miles of riding with this bad fit, my right knee became sore...well, I rode another 100 or so miles until having my LBS re-check my fit and put the old saddle in the correct position. Since then, my right knee has been 'sensitive' (no pain during riding, but 'aching' about a level 2 or 3 out of 10 after a 60-70 mile ride). I am also noticing my right pedal (quattro) more than normal...like the spring tension is always putting my foot in a position I really don't want and I am finding I am having to 'hold' my right foot where I want it....I have adjusted cleat position but still feel the spring centering of the quattro is something I want to get away from. The quattros have 15 deg float and I understand the Speedplays have springless float, but what about the Keo's? I know you can get up to 9 deg float on the Keo's, but is it 'free float' or do they have spring centering? Speedplays are 'free float' but am not sold on the design yet. Everyone seems to love their Keo's and Speedplays get both positive and negative reviews...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've been down this road recently and ended up with some Candies. I am going to try the Zeros or Light Actions next. While Look advertises 9 degrees of float, I think it must be 4.5 degrees per side for a TOTAL of 9 degrees. They feel nowhere near a floaty as the Crank Bros and are also far more difficult to get out of. I have really weak knees and the pedals really hurt them even more.

The Crank Bros may be my pedal of choice in the end, but I also hear very good things about the Speedply pedals, especially in relation to those with knee problems, which I certainly have.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I had a similar pain from keeping my heel up when pedalling. Are you familiar with patelo-femoral syndrome? there's some possibility of your pain being that. Stretch your quadriceps well before riding and try to spin more than grind. Should help you ease the pain away.

how worn are the horseshoes of your cleats? they may be keeping your foot in an odd alignment. I went from quattros (broke and were fixed. fantastic customer service.) to eggbeaters and in either case I found I had to make an effort to keep my knees in and concentrate on emphasizing pedal stroke with the arch of my foot. When I've failed to do these things I experience pain in my outside foot as well as sore knees. I'm flat footed and have a maltracking kneecap so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Keo's have "free float". There is no spring loaded centering. I run the grey (4.5 degree) cleats and have found no problems. I have just the basic Keo Classics. For $60+ (Pro Bike Kit) they are tough to beat. The Keo Sprints are 30g lighter, almost twice as expensive and have a stonger release spring. I have my Classics on the lowest release tension and have never unintentionally pulled out of them. I find the Classics to be one of the best values in cycling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've tried two different brands of spring-centering pedals (Quattro, Time ATAC), and they both caused agonizing pain in my knees, so you aren't alone.

Anyway, both Look and Speedplay are excellent systems that have ample amounts of non-centering float (I've also heard great things about Shimano). If you are coordinated enough to deal with the single-sided entry, I kind of prefer the simpler cleat of the Look system. Unfortunately I could never fully master it, so I generally stick with Speedplay, and, lately Bebop (kind of like Speedplays with a more ATB-centric cleat). I do occasionally put my Keos back on just to see if I can finally get the entry maneuver figured out, but so far no luck.

Anyway, Bebop is another option if you want Speedplay-like float but don't care for the bulky and somewhat finicky cleats. They need an SPD-compatible shoe though.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys....It may be work cleats of the Quattros as they are over 3000 miles old...also, strange that the knee ache never occures during riding, but the day after and while at 'rest'...like sitting still or lying down. Walking, going up and down stairs does not cause any pain. I think it is that with the new bike I am riding further harder and my IT band has tightened up. I do stretch a lot 2-3 times a week, but rarely stretch after a ride and never really focus on the IT band. Before throwing money at a problem, I am going to stretch my IT band like crazy for a week and see what happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think I made a mistake, I should have bought the Zeros.
Instead I bought the new Light action pedals, and I love them except for when I am standing up and pedaling that float is a bit too much like ice skating.

Otherwise on the flats and seated going up a hill I love them.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
messyparrot said:
I think I made a mistake, I should have bought the Zeros.
Instead I bought the new Light action pedals, and I love them except for when I am standing up and pedaling that float is a bit too much like ice skating.

Otherwise on the flats and seated going up a hill I love them.
Zeros (unless you dial out all of the float) would have exactly the same frictionless feeling for however you adjusted them.

Don't know if it's right for you or how you have them now, but moving the cleats back on the shoe a bit helps minimize that feeling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.