Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my kerfuffle: money's tight, and I'm otherwise content with my wheelset, but the freehub's going poo. LBS tells me (A) the freehub is nonserviceable/disposable/noooo fixyfixy and (B) just plain not available. That's right, they, the Fuji/Oval dealer in town, simply cannot source the part. Nor can anyone else, since it's a Formula freehub. And all my searching online has yielded the same result, and every online shop I've messaged has said the same thing.

So it seems I'm buying a new wheelset (cf my adjacent thread). Or am I? All the 24h, 11s rear hubs I've found have been more expensive than bargain wheelsets. And all the bargain wheelsets I can afford don't flip my twinkies. If I had the $300, I'd settle for some Ultegra 6800s. But even the 2kg Amazon cheapos are money I'd be happier to pay bills with at the moment.

Point is that I'd be content to save money for now and roll on my Oval 527s until I could make a choice that balances my wants and budget, but a sh1tty freehub is making me spend money I don't have sooner rather than later.

What do you think? Can I find the freehub? A whole hub? Or new wheels?

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Exactly what is wrong with the freehub? Are the bearings rough/grinding? Are the pawls skipping?
Pull it and see if there is a way to repair it yourself. Lots of things are labeled "non-serviceable" these days when some ingenuity may find a way.

Are Formula hubs sold under another brand name that may sell the freehub?

Edit: I just googled formula hubs service and a number of sites popped up. Might be all the help you need.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good news!

Exactly what is wrong with the freehub? Are the bearings rough/grinding? Are the pawls skipping?
Pull it and see if there is a way to repair it yourself. Lots of things are labeled "non-serviceable" these days when some ingenuity may find a way.

Are Formula hubs sold under another brand name that may sell the freehub?

Edit: I just googled formula hubs service and a number of sites popped up. Might be all the help you need.
Yeah, I've already pulled the freehub. It's crunching and loose, and I suspect a that though good cleaning and lubing might quiet it down, it'd remain loose. There's a YouTube video of a teardown of a similar hub, and I'd have to make a tool for disassembly (which isn't a problem, since I'm a machinist). It's certainly on my options list.

Update: Though I was loathe to do it, I dragged my ass to work on a Saturday and built a socket to disassemble my freehub. After a cleaning and regreasing, it's seeming quiet now when turned by hand. Oddly, I found no chunks, and the bearings, races, and pawls looked shiny, unpitted, and damage-free. So Idunno what the deal was. I'll update again after a proper test.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since money is tight, replace just the rear wheel. Wheels don't have to match; they just have to roll. And buy something that you can more readily source spare parts for, such as Shimano or Campy.
For sure. I can't believe parts are just unavailable for a 2014 model. So whatever fix I decide on, I'll be sure that parts will be available. I'm leaning Shimano for that very reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts