Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this deserved a new thread.

Many replace chains based on a "wear gauge," but some replace them pretty much when they're junk, along with the cassette. This is what I did with my previous ride; got 8,000 miles out of both, including riding in a lot of terrible weather.

This season, though, I'm going to do a bunch more races.

My question is: what do you do when you have multiple wheelsets -- say, one used more often and one used for races? Is the more-worn chain going to destroy the new cassette super-fast?

Finally, how long does it take for chainrings to wear out?

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Different approaches

If you adhere to the 0.5% elongation limit (1/16" per 24 links) then you should be able to swap wheels without any problems. The elongated chain will wear the "new" cassette a little faster, but since you're only using the race wheels for a very few miles per year, this is not likely an issue. You certainly would want to periodically double check that the elongated chain wouldn't skip on the newer cassette. If you want to be perfectly safe, then two chains with Wipperman links would allow you to keep your chains and cassettes on the same page. Chainring wear is going to depend very much on the quality of the rings, your riding conditions, your power output, and your drive train maintenance. I replaced my Record 53t after 65K miles (virtually all of those miles on the 53t) but I am not a super strong rider and only ride 10 miles per week at a flat out pace.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
The reality is that once a chain elongates much past that magical .5%, it starts killing the cogs as well. With frequent cleaning and checking, I've managed to get as much as 7k miles out of a chain, with no appreciable cog wear. I've known people wh swear they've been able to get 20k or more out of a cogset this way.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I ride about 5000 mi. per year. I replace the chain once per year, and the cassette every 2 years. Cleaning often & lubing is very important. I can't prove it, but I'll bet it greatly extends the life of both components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts