Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kessler drops and comes in 2 seconds behind. Telekom loses by 1 second: ergo Kessler=doghouse tonight!

from cyclingnews:

16:53 CEST
Rogers leads T-Mobile into the finish. Kessler has to let go, but he is the fifth man! He gets in two seconds behind his teammates: 36.57, just one second behind CSC - that's an impressive performance for the German team - Jan Ullrich will be happy.

1 Team CSC 36.56
2 T-Mobile 0.01

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
philippec said:
Kessler drops and comes in 2 seconds behind. Telekom loses by 1 second: ergo Kessler=doghouse tonight!

from cyclingnews:

16:53 CEST
Rogers leads T-Mobile into the finish. Kessler has to let go, but he is the fifth man! He gets in two seconds behind his teammates: 36.57, just one second behind CSC - that's an impressive performance for the German team - Jan Ullrich will be happy.

1 Team CSC 36.56
2 T-Mobile 0.01

A+

Philippe

Gonchar, Rodgers and Ullrich are previous (and current) time trial world champions, with TT stage wins in the tour. To hang on with that kind of bunch must be really tough!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Great TTT today. T-Mobile dropped a bunch of riders, so don't blame it on Kessler -- he just happened to be the least strongest of the five that made it across the line -- four others got popped from the train before Kessler.

Simoni's Giro chances are effectively over. He lost about a minute and a half to Basso today, and he will lose more time on the remaining ITT to Basso (probably another two minutes there), so Simoni would need to make up four minutes to Basso on the mountain stages -- that's not going to happen unless Basso gets a stomach bug again.

So Savoldelli is now about 10 seconds behind Basso on the GC and DiLuca is close to 40 seconds behind Basso on the GC. Cunego even farther back. Amazing how this TTT has blown the GC apart so early. Maybe the TdF organizers are correct in placing time loss caps on the TTT the way they did the last few years to preserve some of the GC suspense in the coming stages. In any event, it's too bad for Simoni.

Surprising to see Discovery lose so much time to CSC on the time trial considering that five of their riders (Chechu, Eki, Triki, Paolo and Padrnos) rode last year's winning TTT. You wouldn't think the loss of Hincapie and Armstrong on the TTT would make that much of a difference, with Danielson serving as an adequate TT substitute for Hincapie. I don't think Amstrong is too pleased with today's effort.

G

·
fornaca68 said:
Great TTT today. T-Mobile dropped a bunch of riders, so don't blame it on Kessler -- he just happened to be the least strongest of the five that made it across the line -- four others got popped from the train before Kessler.
Yeah, TMob took a chance and their best TT guys just dropped the hammer after the last time check - and it paid off. I really doubt they'll be p*ssed off at Kessler. Sweet little bit of revenge for Jan I would think (after getting passed by LA in the TdF last year).

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
AJL said:
Sweet little bit of revenge for Jan I would think (after getting passed by LA in the TdF last year).
***newsflash***

armstrong retired 9 months ago.

so what does t-mobile's result have to do with the prologue in the '05 TdF? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great Stage!

I am very please to see T-Mobile ride so well. Kessler did pretty darn good considering his company and must have been giving it everything he had to stay with those guys. I'm sure he'll be much harder on himself then his team mates will be.

This Giro is getting better every day.

Sean

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Great event and stage. Glad they didn't limit losses, this is the perfect length (and flat) for a TTT where event the weakest teams can limit loses. A 55km rolling course with crosswinds would have been tougher for the smaller teams.

The TdF's formula was a bit dumb.

·
Banned
923 Posts
There's no doubt the shorter TTT format means you don't have to have rules that limit time losses - no one loses out too badly and the GC doesn't get too skewed for most of the race which are my biggest gripes with it as a discipline - great spectacle but it should never count towards the overall.

Really exciting to see Ullrich riding with a real prupose and determination - he looked great and I'm sure T-Mobile will take the Maglia Rosa for their efforts - it's a long time since one of their team pulled on the leader's jersey in a GT...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ullrich is in 26th place on the GC!!! Right behind Cunego.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
This situation almost exactly describes one of my mates' worst nightmare. In his nightmare, he is a 3-up TT with Michael Rich and Uwe Peschel, two German diesel engines. Suffering along at 60 kph, Rich looks back and casually throws a wink asking, "How's it going back there?" My friend, wanting to answer, pulls his head up from his stem, and was just about to mutter something out of his mouth when the 60 kph gust of wind caught his head and helmet, shattering both into the wind.

Then, my friend wakes up sweating with a newly-achieved max HR.

So I feel for my man Kessler.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Simoni's Giro chances are effectively over. He lost about a minute and a half to Basso today, and he will lose more time on the remaining ITT to Basso (probably another two minutes there), so Simoni would need to make up four minutes to Basso on the mountain stages -- that's not going to happen unless Basso gets a stomach bug again.
no way...there's far far farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too much mountain time left for any big names to be done.

G

·
botto said:
***newsflash***

armstrong retired 9 months ago.

so what does t-mobile's result have to do with the prologue in the '05 TdF? :rolleyes:

Wow, really?! I had no idea :rolleyes:

It's similar to Riis being very please with the way CSC showed it could win a TTT against Disco and Tmob; as opposed to dropping the ball at the TdF. I'm just guessing that Jan was pleased with beating Disco, especially after getting smacked down by a certain Disco team member last year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.