Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,932 Posts
mprevost said:
I am looking at a new old stock 200sci, 2003. Opinions? Thanks.

Mike
They made the sci all the way till 2003? Wow, I didn't know that.

I have a '96, and it is one of my favorite bikes ever. I have raced it, crashed it, raced it, ridden charity rides on it, casual rides, and now thinking of making it a fixie. It is one of the first monoque carbon frames, and I believe will go down as one of the classic carbon frames that defined the 90's because of its great looks, and great reputation.

· Banned
181 Posts
I miss my Kestrels...
I had two of them, one purchased way back in 1989/90 that went down in a race in 2000 and the other was broken by a mechanic some years later while installing wheels, he yanked the seatpost around so hard he broke the inner shim that holds it to the frame. Kestrel said they'd never seen anything like it and didn;t have any more to replace it :(

They stopped making them in white and other solid colors which I liked so much better than the multi colored paint jobs later on but the bike was great.

It definitely is a classic in terms of bicycle engineering.

· Registered
39 Posts
I loved my 200 EMS until a month ago when I ripped it apart to put modern components on it. Unfortunately, while Shimano 10 speed works fine with the frame, Campy 10 speed wheels rub the frame! Sadly, it is just sitting in my basement with no components. One of the best riding bikes I've ever owned.

G

·
2003 refurbished

If the 200 sci was made in 2003, it was refurbished(blue/back/yellow or red/black/yellow). I saw the bike your talking about(maybe) on either Ebay or SF Craigslist, was that the one? The 200 sci is my all time favorite bike, I had to buy a refurbished(only thing offered) in 2002 to replace my crashed one. I miss my 200, I purchased at 2007 Madone due to it being close geometry to the 200...did I metion I still miss my 200.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
Wow, a lot of folks loved those bikes. I used to be a huge fan of Kestrels, especially the original 4000 model, but also owned several 200's. I must say that today's frames are much stiffer, as the 200 had a rather flexible BB. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 200 had a negative sloping top tube, meaning the headtube is lower than the seatube/toptube junction, wheich will give you a rather low position on the bike. Being in my late 40's, I now need a bike with a higher handlebar postition, so the 200 would no longer be comfortable to me. These 2 items, combined with the fact that carbon bikes have improved so much in the last few years [and the 200 series came out in 1989] that I would not recomend one unless there is something about the bike that just really draws you to it. My .002

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.