Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been lurking around long enough to know that just the very mention of BD evokes (no pun intended) extreme feelings both good and bad. I'm too new to the sport to have a bias one way or the other. With that said, BD has the Kestrel Evoke for $1795 which seems like a great deal for this newbie. I want a nice bike that I can grow into and this one is priced higher then I would like to spend, but it seems like such a great deal that I cannot pass it up. So my newbie question is: is this a good buy? I've noticed other websites have the exact bike for hundreds more. BD also has included better rims and hubs (Richey WCS) then the other companies selling the Evoke. Thanks for any and all advice. I'm looking forward in joining this elite community!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's black and red. I really like the color scheme. It's pretty light coming in at 18.5lbs. Haven't had a chance to take it for a long ride yet. After the weekend I'll be able to log some miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thats a beautiful bike, let me tell you i have an oldie 200ems kestrel and i will say is outdated compared to the new bikes but oh man i love that bike even though i dont ride it everyday. But if you the bike its pretty much new. I really like kestrel, they make great quality frames

·
Registered
31 Posts
been a great frame (Talon not SL) but in the lousy weather of the PNW the rear derailleur cable & housing needs to be cleaned every few weeks in the winter. the roadspray runs down the seattube and the cable is located at the very bottom of the BB shell. i tried putting a deflector shield on the junction of the seattube and the seatmast with limited success. i heard from the Kestrel rep that they redesigned it for 2008 but as they are fairly uncommon around here i have not seen one for real

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Congrats Boneycat! Beautiful looking ride!!

I have a 2006 or 2007 Talon (non SL). I don't really know the year as I bought it in April 2007 but I think it was a 2006 model- red and black but different than yours - because I got it from Sierra Trading Post and they usually but not always carry last year's clearance bikes. Anyhow, I gotta say my Talon is a pretty sweet ride but unfortunately it is a tad bit too long for me in the toptube so I don't ride it as often as my other bike. I bought the Medium and it has a 55.6 or 56 cm ETT depending on which website you want to believe. I just got measured and fitted for a custom bike and it turns out that I need a 54.5 to 55 cm ETT for best fit. The Talon feels faster than my Colnago and Fondriest on the flats but definitely slower up the big hills. Inclines of up to moderate grade, and my Talon feels just as fast as my other 2 bikes but when the hill turns steep like about 12% or higher, forget about it. I am standing on the pedals where on my other bikes I am still able to stay seated and grind it up the hill.

Besides the performance, the Talon looks so sleek and fast. It really is a pretty bike.

Ride ON!!!

TJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.