Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build my own bike any thoughts about kestrel talon 07 or giant tcr1 07 suggestions for either one?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Assuming they both fit, take the Kestrel. Giants are a dime a dozen, Kestrel Talons aren't as common. You may or may not like the Kestrel design, it is different. The Giant is a much more common sloping top tube design. Fuji now owns Kestrel. If buying a NOS frame from a dealer check on the warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Assuming they both fit, take the Kestrel. Giants are a dime a dozen, Kestrel Talons aren't as common. You may or may not like the Kestrel design, it is different. The Giant is a much more common sloping top tube design. Fuji now owns Kestrel. If buying a NOS frame from a dealer check on the warranty.
Mel,
Thanks I think I really like the copper 07 kestrel talon the best I guess because it is different

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Remember, the Kestrel Talons are dual purpose...

It's a really good choice if you get into Tri/Duathlon in the future.

I almost bought a Kestrel over my Raleigh, but they didn't have my size at the time. One of these days I might be calling BD to pick one up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CleavesF said:
Remember, the Kestrel Talons are dual purpose...

It's a really good choice if you get into Tri/Duathlon in the future.

I almost bought a Kestrel over my Raleigh, but they didn't have my size at the time. One of these days I might be calling BD to pick one up.
Cleaves,
Thanks for your suggestion. They have several size nos kestrel's on ebay reasonably priced

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Talon that's an '07 frame - it really is a nice bike. A couple of things to pay attention to:

- I had a problem with the seatpost/shim squeaking. The seat tube is designed to take Kestrel's aero-design seatpost, and needs a shim to work with a round one. Never could make that work without the squeak on mine, so I bought the $90 aluminum aero post. It looks like Kestrel only makes the much more pricey carbon aero post now. FWIW others that have the same bike have not had the squeaking problem with theirs. With the aero post, I've had no squeaking at all.

- it looks like they redesigned the '09s - not just new paint, but the tube shapes look different. Maybe this why they are being sold off at BD.

JB

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I like the RT700 frames the best.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not too familiar with the TCR1. That being said, I think the top-end Giants are great frames! I had a Kestrel Talon that I sold to a friend for a great price. I liked the bike a lot, especially on the flats. I felt it truly "sliced" through the wind better than any of my other rides. But I also felt it limited my climbing, and my favorite thing is to climb, long and steep hills. The newer version of the Talon looks even sharper IMO. Kestrel has done a really nice job of frame designs lately. I like the RTs and the Evokes as well. Good luck- I am sure you will be happy with whichever one you choose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts