Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like a pretty good deal for an all carbon road bike with 105 group set. I can get it for a decent price locally too. I was just wondering if anyone has any long term experience with this bike. I'm new to road biking and wanted something a little faster and lighter than my MTB to ride on the street and maybe participate in a few century rides.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The Kestrel Talon is more beautiful when you see it in person and under the sunlight. I would recommend it highly. The original Kestrel was responsible for one of the first carbon fiber road bikes along with Vitus. This was way back in the 1980's. While the rights to this company may have been sold off to Taiwan, the quality is definitely still there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an opportunity to get a talon really really cheaply too. The hard part is I just need to save up for it and probably sell my current bike for it but from what I've seen online, the Talon Road model looks like it will be an awesome bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also found a new 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 6 apex for about $1400. It's just been sitting at the bike shop unsold. Going to test that one out later and see if I like it better than the Kestrel

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The talon has a triathlon-esque frame. Not sure how well a bike like that will climb or corner. But that is a nice bike.
Yes and no. Similar to some other brands (Cervelo comes to mind) in the 'road' position, the seat post (together with STA) allows for a standard setback. Placed in the Tri position (their literature references it as a forward position) STA steepens by 3 degrees, allowing for a more forward (tri) position.

Most road bikes can do similarly, albeit requiring different seat posts/ setback.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That bike is seriously incredible looking. It must look even better in person. Very nice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick one up for sub $1000 and have a choice between a 52 and a 55. Being 71.5 inches tall and having a 34 inch inseam, I'm thinking that the 55 might be too small. I'm using the fit calculator now to help me out

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm 6' tall but have a short 32" inseam. The 55cm version was just right for me.

Also, got a proper fitting and some shoes/clipless pedals and boy what a big difference. It felt like I was delivering engery way more effiecently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
View attachment 284962

Got mine a week ago went for a 40mile test run, so far so good. Had to do some minor tweaking fit wise, saddle positioning and spacers. I'm thinking I might need a shorter stem. I got a 52cm and it came with a 90mm stem, and while I felt comfortable enough, I felt I was reaching for the bars slightly. Will try it with a 80mm stem and see how it fits.

As for the ride itself, it definitely is fast on flats and cornering has been smooth. Haven't had a chance to try it on the hills yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.