Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I are planning a 600 mile round trip to Key West and back to Rockledge, FL in October. We are going to be riding A1A most of the way...this will be our first touring trip....any tips....

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Tip #1 Avoid A1A

bruisedbum said:
My boyfriend and I are planning a 600 mile round trip to Key West and back to Rockledge, FL in October. We are going to be riding A1A most of the way...this will be our first touring trip....any tips....
Go to the Adventure Cycling website and purchase their map of the route. It will put you on safer roads.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/floridaconnector.cfm

Tip #2 do an overnighter as your first touring trip. Carry everything you plan to take on your longer trip. You will learn more on that overnighter than we could tell you in 1,000 tips.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Back in '83 ...

I rode to Key West and back to Daytona. Inland florida was much more pleasant than the shore roads as far as traffic was concerned, but cane trucks and logging trucks send lots debris flying your way. The roads along the Everglades (997 and 27) were easy enough, but less scenic than I'd hoped. I have much fonder memories of the bridges on the Keys, traffic and all.

From Friday afternoon til Sunday evening, riding across the Keys was very busy. During the week, it wasn't so bad. If it were my trip, I'd plan to arrive in Key West by noon on Friday and leave Monday morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We rode the first day of the trip last weekend from Rockledge to Vero, about 70 miles. The ride wasn't that bad, but we were about 10 minutes from the truck and it began to pour (thanks, Alberto)...I would like to go down to Miami before we ride and see what we are getting ourselves into. That area doesn't seem to bike friendly :(

·
Registered
39 Posts
27 is one scary road

rusa1586 said:
I rode to Key West and back to Daytona. Inland florida was much more pleasant than the shore roads as far as traffic was concerned, but cane trucks and logging trucks send lots debris flying your way. The roads along the Everglades (997 and 27) were easy enough, but less scenic than I'd hoped. I have much fonder memories of the bridges on the Keys, traffic and all.

From Friday afternoon til Sunday evening, riding across the Keys was very busy. During the week, it wasn't so bad. If it were my trip, I'd plan to arrive in Key West by noon on Friday and leave Monday morning.

I used to drive 27 occasionally in the late 80's and 90's. Easy to ride I'm sure (flat, like everything else in South Florida) but narrow (with canals very close to the road on both sides, no barriers), not too much traffic but half of it trucks (often overloaded cane trucks) and no particular respect for speed limits. It was a scary (and boring) road by car. I would not want to bike it.

Broward County has a bicycle suitability map at

http://www.broward.org/transportationplanning/tpi02002.htm

Similar maps may be available for the other parts of your route. There's also an old sun-sentinel article that may be useful (although it focuses on outings rather than travel) at

http://www.southflorida.com/attractions/sfe-sfp-cycling,0,5378708.story?coll=sfe-attractions-promos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.