Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a KHS Flite 900 (2004)

The frames are aluminum AN6 w/IS headtube. Does anyone know about the quality/reliability of these frames, overall rideability of the bike itself, and KHS as a company. What's an IS headtube?

FWIW I do know the frames are made in Taiwan and that a team sponsored by KHS Flite raced in the Tour De Coste Rica (on their bikes.) All this of course can be gleaned from their website. But it's the RBRforum's opinions and experiences that I'm looking for. :)

The mind makes a good servant but a cruel master

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have two KHS Flite bikes - an 01' Flite 800 Reynolds 853 steel and an '05 Flite 2000 aluminum. I love both of them. The 800 is classic steel and the 2000 is light, aero and a strong climber. By the way, KHS is one of the few Taiwanese manufacturers with their own factory, not just a "brand" made in someone else's. I had an earlier model of the Flite 2000 and damaged the top tube in a bike carrier incident and promptly replaced the frame with the '05. And, I actually like the fact that you don't see these bikes on every corner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blandin said:
I have two KHS Flite bikes - an 01' Flite 800 Reynolds 853 steel and an '05 Flite 2000 aluminum. I love both of them. The 800 is classic steel and the 2000 is light, aero and a strong climber. By the way, KHS is one of the few Taiwanese manufacturers with their own factory, not just a "brand" made in someone else's. I had an earlier model of the Flite 2000 and damaged the top tube in a bike carrier incident and promptly replaced the frame with the '05. And, I actually like the fact that you don't see these bikes on every corner.
Thanks for the info Blandin. Not having see any 'Flite' bikes myself out and about (and considering I might buy one) I'm glad to talk to an end-user.

BTW was your frame replaced by Flite under warranty or did you take the hit?

"The mind makes a good servant, but a cruel master." Dion Fortune

·
Registered
178 Posts
It wasn't' a frame defect, it was operator error (me) and I took the hit. I've seen a Flite 900 that belonged to someone else and it is very close to the Flite 2000. Nice looking bike.

BTW, are you looking at a full bike or just a frame? What kind of price are you paying?

·
Registered
396 Posts
KHS has a good rep, nice quality bikes. My LBS owner had one for a long time and loved it, just sold it last season since he wasn't using it much. Pretty sweet ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blandin said:
It wasn't' a frame defect, it was operator error (me) and I took the hit. I've seen a Flite 900 that belonged to someone else and it is very close to the Flite 2000. Nice looking bike.

BTW, are you looking at a full bike or just a frame? What kind of price are you paying?

Full bike, Campy Veloce components. But on-line seller! Pretty sure frame will fit according to my "fit" measurements-but-*gasp* there's a risk buying sight unseen.. Here's the link http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.7390/.f

The orange color turned me off at first but it's 'kinda growin' on me.
Halloween orange ...hmmm. Nice specs, $1399 and there is a return policy after 10 days.

What do you think Blandin?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Doc said:
Full bike, Campy Veloce components. But on-line seller! Pretty sure frame will fit according to my "fit" measurements-but-*gasp* there's a risk buying sight unseen.. Here's the link http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.7390/.f

The orange color turned me off at first but it's 'kinda growin' on me.
Halloween orange ...hmmm. Nice specs, $1399 and there is a return policy after 10 days.

What do you think Blandin?

I know people who have bought from Randall Scott, and they're a reputable outfit. The bike you're looking at is virtually the same geometry as the Flite 2000 that I own and it is the same color as the 900 I saw last summer. It looks "much" better in person, so if you like it now, you'll be happier once you see it. The price seems fair enough and as I said, Randall Scott is reputable, so if there are any issues, I'm sure they'll take care of it. I'd say go for it and then post pictures once you've got it. And "do" make sure the size is right before you order. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KonaMan said:
KHS has a good rep, nice quality bikes. My LBS owner had one for a long time and loved it, just sold it last season since he wasn't using it much. Pretty sweet ride.
Thanks for the info KonaMan. Been looking at so many bikes over the last month (and test-riding) as well, I've seemed to accomplish little more than a spinning head and a fair idea of what'll fit me.

Doc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blandin said:
I know people who have bought from Randall Scott, and they're a reputable outfit. The bike you're looking at is virtually the same geometry as the Flite 2000 that I own and it is the same color as the 900 I saw last summer. It looks "much" better in person, so if you like it now, you'll be happier once you see it. The price seems fair enough and as I said, Randall Scott is reputable, so if there are any issues, I'm sure they'll take care of it. I'd say go for it and then post pictures once you've got it. And "do" make sure the size is right before you order. Good luck!
I'll know by the weeks end. BTW this will be my first road bike and the way I'm going about it you'd think it will be my last road bike. (At least that's what I'm telling my wife)

There's a thread in the Beginners Corner forum (Top Ten Tips) where a poster says that your first bike is basically just an introduction to your next real bike.

In any case the 'first one' will be 'sweeter' than my current Motebecane (french) touring bike.

Doc

"He who considers everything, does nothing." Kai Lung

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Had 2002 KHS 2000 (team), great bike. it was too big and i sold it, but not before i rode it for a while. light and aero like a previous poster said. it had the feel of steel. i keep visiting eBay to see if someone will list one in my size.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine is a team issue as well, and funny you should that it rides like steel. It never occurred to me specially that it rides like steel, but it sure is smooth for a stiff aluminum frame - probably the carbon seat stays.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I second blandin's advice about making sure of the size--I bought one of the KHS Team Softail CX framesets, basing my choice of size on the geometry chart on the KHS website. When I got the frame home, I found that a couple of key measurements didn't match the stated dimensions, and while the bike was not unrideable, I wound up replacing this frame with one a size larger.

Incidentally, it did turn out to be a fine ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sizing issues

The Walrus and 'cmg' have had similar issues it seems. Now I'm curious about about what frame size charts Blandin and/or cmg have used in getting your bike frames. Randall Scott provides a tabulated chart for their lower end bikes (which includes the KHS Flite 900 -only available in 50cm size) while the KHS site includes the same tabulated chart as well as a frame schematic. I'm reasonably sure I'd fit the 50cm size (seat tube seems to be measured center to top). While not putting too much emphasis on the usual measurements (and boring you with the math): my bicycling inseam is 30"/76.2cm (short legs, bit longer in the torso) and the stand-over height about right for the 50cm frame.

Are the published specs for the bike off? It's a more traditional frame set-up than a compact. Does it run larger/smaller? The top tube length is 53.2 (not sure if it's effective TT length or not). I'm thinking a 100mm stem ought to put me in the ball park (approx 63cm when all added up).

Went a bit off the deep-end here. Any sizing advice? Specifically cmg where did you go wrong?

Doc

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
My recommendation vis-a-vis verifying the fit would be to call up and verify the specs, especially if the RS charts duplicate those on the KHS website. I remember for at least a couple of years after my "adventure" in frame buying, the geometry charts were worse than useless--figures would be in the wrong column, numbers were simply carried over from one row to the next, they weren't even using similar fonts in some cases, so they ran out of space for the data before they'd supplied details for all the sizes. It's a shame to see such sloppiness, because as I said before, the bike is fine.

There's no substitute for going to a brick-and-mortar shop and actually throwing a leg over the bike...

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Doc said:
There's a thread in the Beginners Corner forum (Top Ten Tips) where a poster says that your first bike is basically just an introduction to your next real bike.

Except in my case I've had my "starter" road bike for over three years now and I'm showing no signs of being able to afford something fancier. :(

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a flight 200 bike it rides great but the frame I have might but a little big for me, make sure you have the right size, I have a 56cm would love to have a 54cm, You might find one at a pretty good price on ebay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
excellent frame for the money...

In '02. the KHS flite 2000 was my primary race rig. Excellent frame all around.
I upgraded to the '03 frame the following season, which I broke in a race in '04. KHS rep replaced the frame no problems. I was given the '05 model, as they were all out of the older ones... great PR!

link to ' 05 frame photo : http://www.khsbicycles.com/07_flite_2000.htm

The KHS flite 2000 is up there with those frames in contention as " best frame for the buck," IMHO. The aluminium alloy tubing used is the pricey aircraft grade AN-6.

Stiff in the sprints, climbs great, and stable on the screamin descents; as others point out, the carbon seat stays and fork make for a compliant ride on long treks as well.
hope this helps.
ride on,
joe mudd

·
The Gimlet Eye
918 Posts
I have a 2003 Flite 2000 I bought from GVH. The only complaint I have is the clear coat is pretty soft and catches dings easily. Great all around bike otherwise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts