Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why are they considered in such bad taste among "true" cyclists? How many of you secretly wish that you could have one on your bike? How many of you brave the ridicule of your riding buds, and proudly prop up your bike? Why hasn't SOMEONE designed a lightweight kickstand?

I guess I am too pragmatic, but I just never understood why someone would spend $600 to $5000 on a bicycle, only to have to scuff the paint or bar wrap or seat by laying it on the ground or leaning it against something.

And no, I do not have one on my bike, but I do have some in my parts bin.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
slowmo1 said:
So why are they considered in such bad taste among "true" cyclists? How many of you secretly wish that you could have one on your bike? How many of you brave the ridicule of your riding buds, and proudly prop up your bike? Why hasn't SOMEONE designed a lightweight kickstand?

I guess I am too pragmatic, but I just never understood why someone would spend $600 to $5000 on a bicycle, only to have to scuff the paint or bar wrap or seat by laying it on the ground or leaning it against something.

And no, I do not have one on my bike, but I do have some in my parts bin.
Heavy, and the beauty of a roadbike to many people is that it's minimalist. Just look at the saddles. Put a normal person on a road bike saddle and in under 10 miles they're crying.
I dont have one on the road bike and am quite happy not to. It doesnt scrape the bike to lean it against stuff as long as you dont chuck the bike - handlebars and saddle tend to make good contact points, and one has faux leather, and the otehr has cork wrap; the leather can withstand it, and if the cork somehow cant stand it, no big deal, it's $11 for a new handlebar wrap.
Spending 5000 bucks on a bike one of the things you get is light weight. Throwing a 3 pound kickstand on it... yich. And kickstands are ugly. Look at, say, a Colnago, and it's a work of art. Many carbon fiber bikes have this... flow. And it's just sexy. Throwing a nasty metal thingy on it would KILL that flow.
-estone2

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
estone2 said:
Throwing a 3 pound kickstand on it... yich. And kickstands are ugly. Look at, say, a Colnago, and it's a work of art. Many carbon fiber bikes have this... flow. And it's just sexy. Throwing a nasty metal thingy on it would KILL that flow.
-estone2
Also, depending on the tube shape-one might not be able fit one on...Given the option I wouldn't risk crushing my carbon frame with the clamp.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Also, depending on the tube shape-one might not be able fit one on...Given the option I wouldn't risk crushing my carbon frame with the clamp.
eek. nothing like hammering along and having your chainstay snap!
yeah the colnagos would be really bad about that, with the HP seatstays

· Registered
730 Posts
I have a technique of propping the bike up so you don't scratch the bars or the seat ever. Just lean the rear wheel against something and it is as solid as a kick stand. It is quite a simple technique and it works.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
Kickstands aren't particularly stable, either. Especially with a light bicycle, any breeze or errant passerby could just knock the bike over. Even when it comes to beater and commuter bikes, kickstands have their problems. Putting a lock on a bike you've kickstanded doesn't do much. The thief can just carry your bike away. If you do the right thing and fasten your bike to a lamppost or bicycle rack, you don't need the kickstand anyway. The only place a kickstand is truly useful is on delivery bikes and such.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Kick Stands = Pocket Protectors
Both make sense.
I don't use either.

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
{paraphrased parable follows...}

When Enzo Ferrari was asked why the brakes on his cars were so rough, he answered by saying that if people were worried about stopping, then they really had no business driving his cars....

{deep silence}

If I buy a road bike, I buy it to ride, not to stop at the 7-11's Pancake Pantries, 8-à-8's and Cracker Barrels of this world, I ride it to ride and to race. The only time I need to step away from the bike while out riding *may* be to take a leak -- but I can do that while riding! IMHO, a road bike with a kickstand is like a cat with a leash -- it's just not a pretty sight and is wrong in sooo many ways ;-o !!

Now a kickstand on a touring bike... that's a whole other matter. Might be a good idea but I have toured several thousand kms and have never once wished for a stand.

A+

Philippe

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Strongest two riders I know use 'em...

A couple of local riders, one a shop owner and one a female ex-racer who's married to a friend of mine, both have kickstands on their bikes. I sneer and call them Fred as they dwindle into the distance ahead of me. They're just fast enough that they don't CARE what anybody thinks about them.
The LBS owner has a basket on his mountain bike, too....

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I don't have one, and have never wished for one. IMO, it's just something else to get in the way. Uneeded.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
They're popular on recumbents.

Separately, a centerstand on a full-load touring tandem is a thing of beauty.

Otherwise, they're a solution to a problem no one has.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Ride Your Bike!

philippec said:
...If I buy a road bike, I buy it to ride...
Exactly Philipp. It is kind of like asking about bike shoes that are easy to walk in - are you going for a ride or a hike? It is not necessarily a matter of fashion but simply lack of need for a kickstand. Why?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
From what I can see, there's this completely irrational, huge fear of laying a bike down. I've seen many people go through bizarre and agonizingly time-consuming procedures using expensive gizmos just to keep a bike upright. Many times, the consequences are exactly those the uprighters are trying to avoid.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Flickstand?

Special exemption for that, since you are still leaning the bike against something. Made a bike dead-steady, no matter what uneven ground or wind you had to deal with.

Too bad they don't still make them. Driven from the market by odd-size downtubes and big rubber bands.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Flick stand, long ago.

When I was a kid, a lot of single-speed commuters had a threaded hole in the headtube which accepted a knurled-knob set screw bearing down on the fork steerer. Tightening the set screw kept the front wheel from turning. Tightening that set screw with a pair of pliers to make the bike unrideable was a popular prank for students to pull on their teachers. Don't ask me how I know . . .:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.