Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From ignorance as much as anything, I failed to bid on a TS Isaac frame on eBay that went for a song, once again proving that the bargains are there if you know what you are looking for, and you are not obsessed with big-name production bikes.

It sold for a mere $135! And the build quality is on par with the best of the American small builders, and there are only around 500 frames that he built personally. I am kicking myself for not following my instincts and just buying it, and reading about it later.

I had vaguely heard of his name in connection with match cycles, and stumbled across his name in connection with Paramount since he made their bikes for a time, but his career is quite extraordinary, and the frame builders that
crossed his path or worked with him reads like a who's who of American cycling.

There are a couple of good reads about him--Classic Rendezvous has a reprint of an in interview here and some interesting tidbits in this Velocipede post.

Anyways, keep your eyes peeled for other bargains--Peter Mooney being another American builder whose frames do not command the prices of a Sachs... View attachment 276647 View attachment 276648 View attachment 276649 View attachment 276650

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know you will find other gems if you look hard. I feel blessed to have found a Colnago Decor for 600.00 last year that looked a little rough but cleaned up really well. I had missed a super deal on a Miele frame that went for $76. There will be those hidden bargains that make looking fun. Enjoyed reading your extensive knowledge and appreciation for this quality frame. Good Luck. View attachment 276654

·
Registered
404 Posts
It is amazing what you can find if you look. I have a number of saved searches that Ebay emails me on daily, just in case something pops up. I won a Montagner for $140-ish, and a Merckx Reynolds 753 Gran Prix for about $160, including shipping. You just have to know what to look for, and spend time watching. You can sometimes find mislabeled auctions that sell for less because the buyer doesn't know what he has. I'm a good enough person to tell the seller (I once told a seller that had a 3Rensho Allez when they didn't know it), but not everyone is. If not, you could pick up some steals.

Robert

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ah yes, the familiar feeling of getting a little too greedy on an already good deal... then, after missing the deal, you'd go for it in a heartbeat without hesitation if it were just available again.

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes, the familiar feeling of getting a little too greedy on an already good deal... then, after missing the deal, you'd go for it in a heartbeat without hesitation if it were just available again.
Not so much that I got greedy--I got stupid...started second guessing myself about the frame, then started reading about Isaac and missed the end of the auction.

That makes 2 I have stupidly missed in the last couple of months--I got to get sharper or stop looking.

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to keep flogging a dead horse, but I noticed a Match-built Paramount on the 'Bay this morning--too big for me, and while reading a little more, found this RBR thread by Scooper, who knows about Paramounts...

He's included some catalog pages of those Anniversary bikes, built in 853 tubing c. 1999-2001. Also new to me was that Ben Serotta built titanium frames in the same livery to match.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.