Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My deepest apologies for starting a new Kickr thread, but looking for something I couldn't find doing a search.

Just got a new Kickr and everything works fine for about 20 minutes or so. Then, whenever I get to a hill I lose my connection and my poor little avatar stops in the road. I'm very close to my router, within 6 feet of my computer so I'm not sure what the issue is.I am running a Wahoo speed and cadence sensor as well, so not sure if that may be blocking the Kickr or something.

Any ideas? I read on the old interwebs that there was a problem with connections due to how much data is being transferred so trying to see if there is a fix? I have not had any issues with Trainer Road thus far.

Fortunately, Spring has sprung so I will ride mostly outdoors but still want this to work as advertised.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I found the Kickr signal to be very weak. It took using an extension cable to put the ANT+ dongle within about 18 inches from the crank to get a consistent reading with no drops.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I found the Kickr signal to be very weak. It took using an extension cable to put the ANT+ dongle within about 18 inches from the crank to get a consistent reading with no drops.
Yes this solves it as I had the same issue. Get a USB extension cord and have the ANT+ stick right next to the KICKR.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
it's funny but I have to take my bikes outside when starting my Garmin devices and other things like my BSX insight...because they always pickup the signal from the Kickr PM first.. but agree when doing things like Zwift and such, the USB extension is needed.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
it's funny but I have to take my bikes outside when starting my Garmin devices and other things like my BSX insight...because they always pickup the signal from the Kickr PM first.. but agree when doing things like Zwift and such, the USB extension is needed.
the garmin may detect the presence of the kickr, but this doesn't mean it will connect to the kickr solidly though

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I waiting on a new Snap, so have been reading up on it. Apparently Bluetooth interference will cause a problem too, so if you're using Zwift, make sure you close any other phone/tablet apps like the Wahoo app. This is a problem with Tacx smart trainers too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
While everyone I know with a KICKR (at least 10 guys) uses a USB extension cord, I thought I'd share a personal experience with my TACX.

I was getting ANT+ dropout every couple of minutes (continued getting cadence from my GSC10, but lost Power signal from the TACX). I'm using an ASUS i7 laptop with a single USB2 port to the right and a pair of USB3 ports to the left of the keyboard.

I had my Suunto Movestick plugged into the USB2 port, and since I didn't have an extension cable, I thought about switching to another port (unfortunately, Zwift doesn't allow this mid-game).

Anyhow, quitting Zwift, and moving the ANT+ dongle to a USB3 port did the trick for me. After bailing halfway up the mountain due to connection issues, I was subsequently able to ride two loops without a single ANT+ connection problem.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought an extension cord based on recommendations and the same thing happened again. 25 minutes in I lost connection and it would not reconnect. I tried to pair the Kickr and it would not pair. When I quit the current ride and started a new session it reconnected fine. I'm at a loss. Not sure if it is a Kickr problem or a computer issue. Very frustrated to say the least. Again, lost connection in the middle of a climb. Very strange.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought an extension cord based on recommendations and the same thing happened again. 25 minutes in I lost connection and it would not reconnect. I tried to pair the Kickr and it would not pair. When I quit the current ride and started a new session it reconnected fine. I'm at a loss. Not sure if it is a Kickr problem or a computer issue. Very frustrated to say the least. Again, lost connection in the middle of a climb. Very strange.
Call or submit a support ticket to Wahoo, they have great customer service.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Kickr, but Wahoo really needs to address this on the next version or next gen Kickr. I constantly struggle to get the Kickr to read my laptop's ANT+.
I just bought an extension cord on the advice of several friends who've had the same problem. Seems it's endemic.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not sure how this can be considered a systemic Kickr problem. There are thousands of people using them without any issues at all. We have two units in the family and both have worked flawlessly.

I would consider what wireless devices are in the area and see if you can move them or turn them off (even if temporarily) to see if that helps.

Barring that, I would contact Wahoo and see if it's possible there is an issue with yours.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent Wahoo a message and here is their response:

Sorry to hear about the connection issues with the KICKR. I would start by trying these things to eliminate your connection issue.
If you find that your wattage is fluctuating - dropping to 0 and/or hitting high spikes - it's likely that Zwift or other apps over ANT+ isn't receiving all of your data packets due to your ANT+ signal receiving interference.
Much like other wireless signals, ANT+ operates on the 2.4 GHz frequency. This means anything else that uses that frequency or interferes with that frequency can also interfere with ANT+.
Here are some common causes for connection loss:
Wi-Fi interference: Try to eliminate or move other Wi-Fi sources.
Mobile signal interference (3G/4G/LTE/BTE): If you're not using your phone for Zwift, try moving it away from your trainer setup.
Other wireless signal interference: Microwaves, baby monitors, and other devices that transmit wireless signals can interfere with your ANT+ signal.
Bike Computers: Since your bike computer can also be a source of ANT+ or BTE signals, it's also a potential interference source. We recommend using the Zwift Mobile Link app for your mobile device instead.
Fans: These generate an electromagnetic field around them that can block signals if located between your ANT+ dongle and sensors .
Wireless computer accessories: The USB dongle for your wireless mouse, keyboard, or other accessory can cause interference, especially if it's next to the ANT+ dongle on the computer.
Loose USB connection: Make sure your ANT+ dongle is firmly plugged in.
Physical distance: Keep your ANT+ dongle and sensors < 3 feet apart.
Physical barriers: It may sound odd, but any object that obscures line of sight from your ANT+ dongle to your sensor can cause packet loss. Try to keep a clear path from your dongle to your sensors.
Dying battery: If all the above fail, you may need to replace your batteries.
Try going through a process of elimination here to identify potential signal interference. If you're still experiencing dropouts after eliminating those causes, send your log.txt file located in your DocumentsZwiftLogs folder to us at Caution-http://bit.ly/zwiftsupport < Caution-http://bit.ly/zwiftsupport > , and we'll investigate further.
Let us know if this does not solve the issues. Also trying to ride the KICKR for 20-25 minutes in the Wahoo Fitness app over Bluetooth can also confirm that the KICKR Is running well and we are just running into a ANT+ connection issue which is the most common cause of the issue you are stating and is not actually a issue with the KICKR but more a issue with the connection to your computer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts