Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trainer question: Kickr Snap for $350 or Elite Qubo digital smart b+ for $250?

Looking at getting into Zwift/Trainer Road.

Eric

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have the EQDSB+. it works great with Zwift. so much nicer than my old unsmart mag trainer.

The downside is this: it does NOT use bluetooth for Zwift. You have to use Ant+ for any laptop or device .. with the exception of the proprietary Elite trainer app which uses its own proprietary bluetooth link. That makes it tricky to try and use Zwift on iOS with this trainer as I don't think there are any Ant+ dongles for lightning plug iOS devices. Maybe some day there will be a firmware update to bring bluetooth integration with Zwift. It works great with our laptops which do have an Ant+ usb dongle.

Not quite as instantly responsive as a wheel-off smart trainer if you do not also have a power meter. However we use our power meters on our bikes also, which makes the EQDSB+ trainer work pretty much the same as a wheel-off trainer.

it is quiet enough and has good flywheel effect to make it feel more like on the road.

I have not used the Snap

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I'll provide the other side. I've had a Snap for almost a year. I use it with my iPad mirrored to my Apple TV. Before Zwift went to the iOS/bluetooth I would ANT+ dongle to my Mac, then Airplay to my TV. I always had trouble getting Zwift to pick up the ANT+ (I think it might have been a Mac problem, not Kickr). With the iPad now, it's a quick link and I'm up and running right away.

As far as the Snap itself, I really like it - reliable, pretty quiet. I use it with a Tacx trainer tire on a dedicated trainer wheel. I don't leave the bike set up on the trainer and use it pretty infrequently, especially as the weather has been nice this winter, so I calibrate it every time I use it, which means like a 5 or 10 minute warmup before I start Zwifting.

One thing when comparing smart trainers is to look at the max resistance/slope simulation. One reason I went with the Kickr Snap was a higher max resistance; it can simulate something like a 10% grade, which I encounter pretty regularly on my real road rides. I'm not sure what the Elite does, but you might want to look into that if it's important to you.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
EQDSB+ I think can provide up to 800-1000 watts resistance. So that is a pretty darned steep climb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.