Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I just spent about a month painting/polishing my frame. The last thing I want to do, is ride it around, and stand it up against a brick wall or something...Not for storage or anything..But just something to hold the bike up while I take a photo, leak, etc. What are your thoughts on kick/side stands ? I know its excess weight, etc....I know about bending the tubes, etc. Its an old frame, not too worried - and again, this isn't for storage, just for 5-10mins here and there.

Thanks !
Steve

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Steve-H said:
What are your thoughts on kick/side stands ?
Kickstands rock. They make your bike just so darn much more practical. I am about to get a custom frame. It's getting a kickstand. I'm going to make a set of shims out of nylon or UHMW to make sure the frame does not get tweaked when I install it, but wrapping cotton bar tape around the contact points does essentially the same thing. Make sure not to crank the kickstand bolt down too hard. You can do serious damage to the frame if you do.

Good luck!

- FBB

· BS the DC
1,426 Posts
It sounds like a kickstand would be a useful addition to your bike. I've been thinking of adding one to my tandem. While my single bike is easy to move around, my tandem is quite a bit more cumbersome. That and my girlfriend likes to stop more frequently and longer than I usually do when I'm alone.

Cool quote: Falling Down

· Registered
449 Posts
Front-wheel lock?

Years ago I had a little device on my commuter bike that was really helpful as an alternative to a kickstand. It attached to the down tube and had a hinged, u-shaped metal band that you could swing down to come in contact with the front tire when you parked the bike. It held the front wheel straight so you could lean the bike up anywhere without the front wheel turning and causing it to fall. You could lean the rear wheel against a post or tree and the bike would stand. Don't know if those things are still available or what they are called, but it was handy, unobtrusive and weighed next to nothing.

· Registered
105 Posts
Flipstand

Mayday said:
Years ago I had a little device on my commuter bike that was really helpful as an alternative to a kickstand. It attached to the down tube and had a hinged, u-shaped metal band that you could swing down to come in contact with the front tire when you parked the bike. It held the front wheel straight so you could lean the bike up anywhere without the front wheel turning and causing it to fall. You could lean the rear wheel against a post or tree and the bike would stand. Don't know if those things are still available or what they are called, but it was handy, unobtrusive and weighed next to nothing.
The thing you are talking about was called a Flipstand if I remember correctly. I had one as well. It was a handy little bugger that weighed next to nothing and worked well.

· Banned
657 Posts
Years a go I road in a TOUR DE CURE ride w/ my trusty Schwinn mtn bike. I hung in there w/ my friends w/ serious road bikes for a while. At the first rest stop they layed them down & I said,"watch this". Flicked down the kick stand in a field of horizontal bikes & stood prowd in a nerdish kind of way. Not my finest moment but worthy. I finished the ride on my piece-of-**** Schwinn & ate pasta at the finish w/ the best. Yeah, a good day.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
make sure you dont go the stupid way and put on a kickstand and sit on the seat. stupid, stupid, stupid. your @ss is gonna be on the ground, your kickstand will be in 2 parts, and the "leg" (?) of it will be split in half, and it's horrible to try to get off...
I found this out the hard way with my old MTB, sitting at school one day, i wasn't ON the bike so much as leaning against it, but all the same... just don't be a moron about what you do with the kickstand and all's good.
-estone2

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a friend who commutes with that little 'flipstand' gizmo. He likes it.

That being said, you don't need a flipstand to lean your rear wheel against something solid.

Try this: Take the bike. Lean the rear wheel against a solid thing. Turn the handle bars toward the direction of the lean. Let go. It's that simple. Far more simple than a kickstand - and it's safer for your frame.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
melamst said:
Try this: Take the bike. Lean the rear wheel against a solid thing. Turn the handle bars toward the direction of the lean. Let go. It's that simple. Far more simple than a kickstand - and it's safer for your frame.
Tell that to the massive scrape marks on my top tube and saddle from the times I've leaned the bike on something, then had it gradually slide to the ground.

;)

- FBB

· Registered
23 Posts
Flick stand

tsteahr said:
The thing you are talking about was called a Flipstand if I remember correctly. I had one as well. It was a handy little bugger that weighed next to nothing and worked well.
It was Rhode Gear's Flick-stand, it was pretty neat - don't think there made anymore...

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Why do riderless bikes have to stay upright?

I must be missing something here. Why not just carefully lay the bike down on the ground drive side up? Always seemed to me the best way to keep it from falling over. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.