Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 8-month old, and the pediatrician said he can ride in a bike trailer this summer. So I need to get one, and don't know the first thing about trailers (or kids, really).

Can use some advice:

1. What features do I need?
2. How much should I spend?
(I see the cheap Schwinn at Target for $119 and the expensive Burley at LBS for $450. I would never buy a bike at Target, but I'm tempted to buy the trailer. Mistake??)
3. How fast can I go with him?
4. What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ken

·
Registered
124 Posts
We own a Burley

kpny1 said:
(I see the cheap Schwinn at Target for $119 and the expensive Burley at LBS for $450. I would never buy a bike at Target, but I'm tempted to buy the trailer. Mistake??)
Owned it for 13 years now. Looks new. You can go as fast as you can go. Check for a used Burley first.

It will cost you a couple of gears and make climbing an adventure. :) Might consider if what your lowest gear is and if there will be easy enough for your local hills.

I'm trying to imagine attaching a POS trailer to my bike, not going there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cheap one works really well

I bought the InStep cheap trailer at Target. At the time it was $69 on sale. Let me say how impressed I am with it. It folds very nicely, has nice retaining rings so you never lose the pins, wheels come off and go on quickly, connects to the bike nicely, and works really well. We only use the trailer for rail trails, so I'm not really concerned about anything else. And really, whats going to happen to your kids in a cheap trailer compared to an expensive one. The worst that could ever happen is getting hit by a car and I really don't think either are going to do a bit of good there. The current version has little plastic mag wheels, but at the time ours came with spoked. If you will use the trailer alot, and all around on public roads, then perhaps get the Burley.

Now, if the Burley is made in the US and I think it is, well then its worth it as most US products keeping Americans working are. Plus, I think they have really good resale so consider this in your purchase. Ours will have very little resale because it started out dirt cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.