Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Theres always trap and high power........ Gut, this is an offshoot of your baseball kids post. was going to put it there, but did not seem to be in the spirit. So a new post.....

Both of my kids did not like baseball, same step out of the box, no swing thing. Found they liked the whole 1 on 1 thing much better. Where they could pitch themselves against the "others". Some kids won't agree with "group sports". Some will excel with 1 on 1. One shot, one.....well you know the rest. Instilled the importance of a quick kill and where to find that. Heart-Lung area, ........Go figure. 1/3 up behind the front leg. And allow for the angle if quartering anywhere. You would think they were both physicists, estimating where to put the "pill". As simply as I put it......they understood. The "spot" is right there, and if they turn , just a little, it becomes over there. I impress not only on where on entry, but exit also. And whats in the middle. They understand.

Examples follow, but are not inclusive. Many things have happened since. And just don't have pic's of some. Don't have pic's of last year. Though I should have set us down in front of the camera. Though did not. And my fault. Late at night and dark. And tired. From draggin' deer This is my youngests from fall of '07
Youngest first deer, No pic of the 5 ptr. my oldest shot the previous year. No digi cam at the time.

Stats: Both sons shoot deer with Remington Model 7 .260 Remington 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Youth size. Thinking of going to the 125 gr Nosler Partition. More stoutly constructed, and will shoot W-Tails just as well as these Sika. Although the 120 BT has proven itself a W-tail load as well. Just feel more comfy this way, though it makes it a handload experience. One of my sons needs a new longer stock. Will replace with a heavier laminate, if only to subdue recoil. We hunt Sika deer in the marshes around the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Whitetails are so numerous that they've become pass'e. The real challenge has become these "marsh rabbits". Anyone can shoot Whitetails, thousands of dollars are spent on hunting these little elk (sika). Luckily I have a lease, surrounded by Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. Color me spoiled.:) Many thousands of acres.

The boys Goose guns: 20 ga. 1 oz. load of #1's. Just a few pellets shy of my 12 ga. load of 1 3/8 load of BB's. (about 3 pellets difference) Federal had (has) a 1 oz load of 1's in 20 ga. And rolls them. You put it on them, and it will do the job. Seems as if Federal no longer loads this shell. Hard time finding them. (Fed Prem.) Luckily the boys are growing into my 1100's fast enough to not worry about 20 ga. loads. I bought enough 20 shells to last for them, and then after, enough for me to show off.:D :D

Last years goose, (07), lThe boys limited several times in '08....

I still buy used 1100's because of the sheer # of barrels that I own for them. Not to mrntion the actions. When I get around to replacing the boys 20's, it will be with 11-87's. The next generation.

My 17 yr old last year took a few shots with my 1100, if only to see what would happen. What happened were dead geese. Gas guns rule. :D :D He has grown into his arms. Need to put his 20 O/U away during goose season. He has finally developed enough Azz.

But they would roll a goose with those 20's and the proper load. Seen it. And others in the club also. Amazing what you can do with a 20 and the right frame of mind. And load.

There is life outside of baseball..............:cool:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
stepson shot a hog in the green swamp weekend before last w/ his .410, i finished it w/ my .357, great bonding in the woods and breaking in his new knife learning not to pierce the gutsack. I want a 11-87!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
410 with slugs ? Many underestimate smaller calibers, gauges. Give me a .410 and I'll rule the world! Congrats on his accomplishment. I had to pay big bucks for my hog, in Tenn. Back in 19 and 83. But you'd likely not remember that. 3,000 acres of pigs. And me with a 30-30. My only big game rifle at the time. Smack dab in the middle of the property. Shooting 170gr federals. One shot to the heart, took no other, saw the blood pumping at 35yds. It ran maybe 50yds. May have to scan some pics. Think i will. Some people were being treed left and right. One guy threw down a brand new Dan Wesson revolver when he climbed up one ridge on his hands and knees and busted his fancy azzed grips, when confronted by a HUGE feral hog at the top (350+lbs.) (at 10 ft.). He had to relenquish his hold on the weapon if only to climb faster.:D Fun couple of days. I was 21.:D

Bond with the kids, yours or not, they'll remember forever.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A .410, good on him.:) :D Next you'll be talkin' to GSCOTT about one of those .500 S&W pumps. :p God if I had a few extra bucks, I've bought more gun for less reason.:cool:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More than 25 years old now, and more than a little dusty. Was pushing 250 lbs. What we did not eat as roasts was turned into BBQ. Good stuff !!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Nice cutters on that piney wood rooter! I love being in the woods w/ the kids, would much rather them harvest something then myself. Looks like you've raised quite the hunters!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last time goose hunting with them, I spent more time watching than shooting. Left it to the boys. And thankfully the other 2 members in the pit from the club were predisposed to let the boys get some trigger time, without me having to say anything. And the boys did. 5 of us = 10 geese. Should have got more trophy pics then but didn't. What matters is they will remember that day, long after I'm gone. The pics that matter are the ones in their mind.

20 years ago I was goose hunting with a guide, who I knew pretty well. Who I later guided off and on for. Just to hunt for free. This was before I had money for a lease. He made a statement one day that just shook me. He said "If I never shoot another goose, I'll die happy". I thought WTF, over?

Its taken this long to really understand just what he was saying. It's not about the killing. We've all heard that. Some of us even understand. But what it really is about is the memories, with friends, dead and gone, past and present, and family. I don't need to squeeze the trigger everytime. That last day of this season I saw my oldest roll one in the air at 35 yards out. With a 20ga. shooting #1's. I know guys with 12's and BB's that can't do the same. Seen people with 10ga autos that could not hit anything. Period.

I know when I've got the shot. Squeezing the trigger at times is just redundant. Leave them for the kids. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts