Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Felt has the F24; Trek the KDR1000. Specialized used to have the Allez Junior and Giant used to have a junior road bike as well. Pinarello has a sweet looking road bike called the Kui, but it's $1200. Please note that all of these are 24" road bikes and are generally designed for kids 8-12. You can find these bikes used sometimes for pretty good prices. If you need a smaller bike, your best bet is to find a 20" road bike. My understanding is that 20' road bikes are extremely rare but there are a few frames out there that can be converted to a 20" road bike. For wheels, you will probably need a recumbent wheelset for one however. Nothing wrong with that as long as it works well.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
also...

stevetheupsguy said:
Where is the best place to buy/find a road bike for my children? I would love to bring them out on some rides, but all I'm finding are the "normal" bikes that anyone can buy at Target, Toy's R Us and such.
Colnago and Pinarello make kids bikes, too, but they are $$$$$.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I bought my 8yo son a Felt Z24 earlier this year. He's put a few hundred miles on it, most recently at 6am this morning. He really digs it. IMO, worth the $$$ too. I think his was around $600 after the shop gave us a bit of discount.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Fuji also makes one - Fuji Ace. We have the version with 650 wheels for our son, and it's not a bad bike. Cheaper components, but not too pricey at 350-400.

BTW - might need a compact crank if you live in a hilly area for the Fuji. It comes with a 42/52 or something similar.

·
MadMan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to my LBS and asked the guy about Jr bikes. He said people usually grab up all of the used ones as soon as they become available. He said a friend of his has a Jr bike that he may want to sell, so he called him as I waited. Sure enough, he had one, a Specialized Allez Jr (like new), and he said he'd give it to me for $350. It turns out that I know the guy. He lives on my route and we do group rides together. He ended up taking $250 for the bike and making my daughter really happy. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.