Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife purchased a swingset for the kiddo's 1st birthday. Not just a normal swingset that has a few metal pipes and a swing or two...the monstrosity with a roof, rock wall, swing, teeter-totter etc.... I open the directions and find that there are 54 steps involved...assembly will take approx. 16 hours according to the manual. Sounds like fun....

Get started with assembly and my right shoulder is feeling sore. I have a dozen anchors/pins etc... in there and it gets temperamental, no big deal. As I pick up a crossbeam, I feel a popping sound in my left shoulder. Just got back the MRI and have a torn rotator cuff and labrum in the left shoulder now...
real excited about the next few months.

As an added bonus, the swingset is 2/51 complete and I have no clue who to pay to finish this assembly. There must be a company out there...right?

Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to try and do nice things. A stuffed animal would have been 1000% easier.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
well, the kid is only 1, so you have some time.

also, ive had a torn rotator cuff since 1988. you get used it. just be prepared for funnt changes in weather. and carefull walking up/down stairs. your arm might slip out. at least mine did, but that might have been because it was also dislocated.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Pay your wife to do it! :)

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Qstick333 said:
Is that an offer? C'mon down :)
ABSOLUTELY.....not.
I'm almost done with the daughters playhouse. The inside got painted this weekend. I need to do a little more trim work and then screen in the gables. A little baseboard and put the carpet in. Teh paint shoudl go on the outside next week. Probably only a day or a day and a half of work left.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
You need to get a bunch of 10-year old kids to build it for you. They'll get it done in less than 40 steps.

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
Your wife bought the thing, so she should be the one to assemble it.

Of course, as a married man I understand that logic does not always apply in these situations. Actually it rarely applies.

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
waldo425 said:
That sucks. I have torn a rotator cuff and messed up another and it sucks.

Grab some beer and call up some friends
Good call! Throw in some pizza and that becomes a binding contract under the man code.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Qstick333 said:
As an added bonus, the swingset is 2/51 complete and I have no clue who to pay to finish this assembly. There must be a company out there...right?
Yes there are people who will do this for you. They can usually be found outside your local Home Depot.

/not kidding.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
azpeterb said:
Your wife bought the thing, so she should be the one to assemble it.

Of course, as a married man I understand that logic does not always apply in these situations. Actually it rarely applies.
A monster playset with a rock wall for a 1 year old? By the time kidlet is old enough to use it, it'll be a rotted heap (ok, not really, but 1 year old is way too young for that sort of thing)

BTW, I got one for free. I started looking for used ones on CL, then came to learn my boss was about to dismantle his and throw it out. I took it away for free and beefed up a few parts. I think I spent $100, total. One of my neighbors had a really nice one, which I noticed one day, all cut up and sitting out for the garbage collectors. I about croaked. But that's the kind of people I live around. Everything is disposable.

Make her assemble it. Tell her you'll bring her glasses of water.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Wow, so are my parents the minority? My grandpa, mom, and dad just got a whole bunch of 2x4's and built me a playhouse. It wasn't as deluxe (no climbing wall... climbing walls???), but it had monkey bars, a swingset, sandbox, 2nd floor, etc etc and was as cool as anything else at the time. No pre-built set there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts