Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all of the tens of thousands of NNC miles that I've logged on the road, this is a first for me. I can't count the number of times that a rabbit would run across the road as I approached but we always managed to miss eachother....until this morning. I was going at a pretty good clip, around 25 mph or so, on a fairly busy urban street when out of nowhere, Peter Rabbit decided to make a break for it. I only had about a second to react and in that second I decided that between the car traffic and the fact that swerving or braking so suddenly wouldn't be such a good idea, I decided to keep my line and hope that the bunny would make a good decision. He didn't. It all happened so fast, but I felt a "crunch" as my front wheel went over him (went over his neck, I think). I instantly felt a rush of relief when I realized that I was still upright, but I looked behind me and poor bunny was in a motionless heap. I think I killed him, or at least disabled him. There are baby bunnies somewhere in Oro Valley, waiting for their pa to come home. :(

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Be careful when you skin it, rabbits carry a ton of fleas. Toss the carcass in the fridge right away, in a zip-lock bag, and grill it later tonight. rabbit is good fast protein, or so says Eddy B. I just like the way it tastes with BBQ sauce.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TWB8s said:
Be careful when you skin it, rabbits carry a ton of fleas. Toss the carcass in the fridge right away, in a zip-lock bag, and grill it later tonight. rabbit is good fast protein, or so says Eddy B. I just like the way it tastes with BBQ sauce.
I left it on the road. (Is that not proper form?) We have so many coyotes, hawks and other desert critters around here I'm sure that someone had a nice tasty meal of him.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
We've got one of the biggest crops of new baby bunnies that I've ever seen around here. I think just about every yard had a couple of 3/4 size cotton tails sitting on the grass munching away as I rode last evening. Most of the time they just watch me roll by, but I figure it's only a matter of time before one panics and gets flattened. They're cute, but they wreck our grass and plants.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I've noticed an abundance of wabbits on the roads and MUTs these last few weeks, though I haven't seen many squirrels.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
azpeterb said:
I left it on the road. (Is that not proper form?) We have so many coyotes, hawks and other desert critters around here I'm sure that someone had a nice tasty meal of him.
I really didn't expect you to make a meal of it unless you're from Arkasas. :thumbsup:

As for proper form, it would have been nice for other cyclists, pedestrians and the scavengers you listed had you tossed it off the road.

At least you killed it quick and clean. in the late 80's I was on a pre-work ride with coirkers when a squirrel did his road dance in front of us. It leapt into the front wheel of the guy next to me at the last moment and got shredded. He was a bloody mess and the bike was covered too. Another shop employee bought a plush squirrel and made a sign that said "REVENGE!" and put it on his bench later that day.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
I was MTBing in high school once and went over a bridge/jump and coming back down landed ON a robin. Wrong place, wrong time.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do like this time of year, as there are all sorts of desert critters that I get to see on rides, even in the fairly developed areas where I ride. In the last week I've seen a bobcat, a gila monster, a number of rattlesnakes, frogs (dead), tarantulas, and the usual bunnies and coyotes. And these were all on or near the road, not out in the wild.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I got the tail of a squirrel on my ride home on Monday. Actually squiched on MTBing a couple years ago. Sucks. But at least it was a quick kill.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I see bears, moose, deer, foxes, chipmunks and partridges along the road almost daily and the occasional wolves, beavers and porcupines but for some reason almost never see rabbits. They live here but either the population is small or they stay well hidden. The partridges are suicide bombers though. They stand in the grass on the side of the road and at the last possible moment when there's almost no time to react they walk out.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I heart teh bunniez....

·
What the what???
12,712 Posts
The Karmic wheel can be a fickle mistress. I'd advise locking your doors and windows and laying low for a while... JMHO :)

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
A perfect opportunity for a nice, soft, warm helmet liner for the winter.......:thumbsup:

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
It is even messier when they hit bladed spokes. At least you got his neck and it was quick versus getting its innards to squirt out by going over the middle of him!

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rward325 said:
It is even messier when they hit bladed spokes. At least you got his neck and it was quick versus getting its innards to squirt out by going over the middle of him!
True dat. And I do have bladed spokes, so it could have been ugly. Not even a mark on the sidewall of the tire....I think it was an internal break, very clean. Another plus is that it was probably an instantaneous death for the wabbit. The heartbreak felt by his family will run long and deep. I have sadness in my stomach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts