Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
That's insane, thanks for posting! You should create a Strava segment for that, though I don't think they have a unicycle category.

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's insane, thanks for posting! You should create a Strava segment for that, though I don't think they have a unicycle category.
Thanks. I ride one of the Routes that Strava calls, "The big one". About 7 miles up and back with 16% grades. Really fun with a minimum of car traffic. Drag your cursor over the line graph to see grades: Strava Segment | The Big One

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forrestal up to Crest is pretty brutal, have you tried Via La Cuesta?
Yeah a few times, if it's the one by the golf course. I think both High tide and Ganado have it beat for max grades. I know a lot of road bikers do the PV East switches to crest, rather than do the Forrestal route, but I like it because it's more challenging and you get to stay on residential streets so much less and SLOWER car traffic.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Via La Cuesta is just really short but starts steep and just gets steeper. I agree with you about High Tide and Ganado. I would much rather do that route then the switchbacks. Another couple of good ones are Eastvale/Sunnyridge and Crownview.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
You turn onto Eastvale and if you stay to the right Eastvale continues on. If you stay to the left, you will be on SunnyRidge. They actually meet up with each other at the top. Kind of a big circle. Total distance is only about a mile but averages 9%. Eastvale is the first street south of Crenshaw on Palos Verdes Drive North.

You're correct about Crownview, it is right by Miraleste. Another fairly short but steep climb, never levels off.

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You turn onto Eastvale and if you stay to the right Eastvale continues on. If you stay to the left, you will be on SunnyRidge. They actually meet up with each other at the top. Kind of a big circle. Total distance is only about a mile but averages 9%. Eastvale is the first street south of Crenshaw on Palos Verdes Drive North.

You're correct about Crownview, it is right by Miraleste. Another fairly short but steep climb, never levels off.
Thanks for the info, I'll try them soon! :thumbsup:

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
Holy cow! I just got back from riding up Sunnyridge and it seems not only every bit as long and steep as Ganado, but more continuously steep! Loved it!
Yep, it never levels off. Thought you would enjoy it. Now you've got to get over to Crownview, you'll enjoy that too. I went over to Mandeville Canyon yesterday and did the "Three *****es". I would say that Sunnyridge and Crownview are equally or even more brutal than them.

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, it never levels off. Thought you would enjoy it. Now you've got to get over to Crownview, you'll enjoy that too. I went over to Mandeville Canyon yesterday and did the "Three *****es". I would say that Sunnyridge and Crownview are equally or even more brutal than them.
Yeah Crownview is next, but I think that one, although steep, is pretty short, isn't it?

·
Not "2" Tired
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it is fairly short but it doesn't plateau, just steady and steep.
I'd love to find something in the 20% grade range that goes on for a least a mile. But for now the Forrestal/Hightide/Ganado/Crest ride is my favorite because it's the longest route so it doesn't end so fast. Sunnyridge is awesome as a stand-alone training hill if you don't have a lot of time.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts
I'd love to find something in the 20% grade range that goes on for a least a mile. But for now the Forrestal/Hightide/Ganado/Crest ride is my favorite because it's the longest route so it doesn't end so fast. Sunnyridge is awesome as a stand-alone training hill if you don't have a lot of time.
Crownview isn't a mile but it is steep. In PV, I don't think you're going to find anything longer and steeper than Forrestal/Hightide/Ganado/Crest. If you do, please let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.