Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wear out a set of Conty GS 4000s tires and decided to try something different. I am big into the feel of the ride so my research leads me to Vittoria Open Pave GC tires and latex tubes. Not a cheap setup. I get the parts, fit the tubes and tires on the rims (BTW fitting the latex tubes was definately different from butyl rubber IMO), and go for a ride. Great feeling tires, I'm glad I bought them even if they were kind of spendy. Now not 5 miles out I go around a corner down at the waterfront at speed and run across glass, green glass, probably a Heineken. Quickly I place my gloved hand on my rear tire to wipe off any glass and feel something, I'm thinking somethings stuck in the tire, so I stop. Nope, it's a sidewall cut in the rear tire and the casings looking out at me. Tire is still holding air and it looks like it's just on the surface so when I get home I get some super glue and glue the flap back on. Kind of discouraging to happen so quickly. I did expect to get cuts, that's the price you pay for riding in the city but to happen so quick!
The repair does look OK and I had 2 shop technitians look at it as I passed their shops on my ride and they were OK with my suggested repair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i hear ya there... always some wackos who cant seem to figure out why cities place big garbage cans everywheres... or maybe this particular wacko didnt wanna put a recyclable in the trash and figures littering would have less impact?? who knows right.....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
repair progress

so my super-glue job appears to have worked, at least in the house. I dropped the pressure down to 10 lbs or so then glued the flap and let it dry. This morning I pumped the tire up to 120 lbs and it looks good. Probably will test ride it a little later today but so far it's looking good. I really think it is mostly cosmetic, but still happening so quickly it just bugged me to no end.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Shoe Goo

martinrjensen said:
so my super-glue job appears to have worked, at least in the house. I dropped the pressure down to 10 lbs or so then glued the flap and let it dry. This morning I pumped the tire up to 120 lbs and it looks good. Probably will test ride it a little later today but so far it's looking good. I really think it is mostly cosmetic, but still happening so quickly it just bugged me to no end.
Shoe Goo is another popular choice for repairing damaged tread. As long as there's no bulge in the casing, tread repairs are generally successful. Casing bulges require booting the tire.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, I've used shoe goo before (on wading shoes) but I didn't think of it here. This was apperently only in the outer covering, no buldging. I just got back from a ride and it (the repair) still looks real good
Kerry Irons said:
Shoe Goo is another popular choice for repairing damaged tread. As long as there's no bulge in the casing, tread repairs are generally successful. Casing bulges require booting the tire.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've found Vittoria CX's and Michelin Pro 3's cut very easy. So I tend to use them only for fast training rides and races.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Guess I wont tell you 'bout the time I double flatted on brand spanking new tires and tubes and also found out that both tires were severely cut in the flat. (Walked back to find out why and found a box cutter blade sticking in the rubber expansion joint of an overpass bridge, that was about in my line of travel.) I was about a mile out on the start of that ride!

Boy was that an expensive day.

I feel your pain, hopefully your fix will work, as long as you don't compromise the liner, and it is just the rubber thread, you should be fine.

BTW how do you like the Pavé's?

I have been testing them (the 290tpi ones, not the fancy ones) over the past month.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Wrap about 8 inches of GOOD duct tape or Gorilla tape around your pump or CO2 cart.

If you get a cut, put it on the inside of the tire and wrap around the rim and tire (after 3/4 inflation) if needed.

It won't be pretty, but it will get your home.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
zac said:
BTW how do you like the Pavé's?

I have been testing them (the 290tpi ones, not the fancy ones) over the past month.
I was looking at these too. How do they compare to the Conti Gatorskins?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I cannot imagine the Vitt. Pavé is as tough or durable as the gators.
But the ride is much better and sure footed.

I don't like the gators on anything but my winter beater. They are tough as all hell but even a 27 @ 75 psi rides like a brick.

I have about 2 weeks/500 miles on the Pavés, like them so far. Only one flat but it was a staple that would have flatted anything. Rear tire center tread is mostly gone, front of course is still fresh.

I am still experimenting with pressures, but they seem to be a bit counter to the normal conventions: ie they seem to run a bit faster at higher than nominal pressure. It's a true 24mm tire that for me I would probably do 80/95 f/r, but found them to run essentially just as smooth and roll a bit better at 90/115. They were a little too harsh above that.

So far I like them. Have since ordered 2 more sets, so I should be good through the rest of the year.

These came heavily recommended by a local mechanic, and so far, they may be my "next" tire. I guess at some point I'll try the 320tpi version: just for the hell of it.

Peace
zac

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like the Vittoria Pave a lot. For me they held up as well as the Michelin Carbon and rode a lot better, but didn't last quite as long and were a lot more expensive.

Gatorskins ride like rocks.

I'd try the 4000s but they're "hot" right now and pricey.

Carbons for me, still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts