Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is dumb because it shows how little I know about road bikes.

I sold this bike to someone. It was my wife's bike. It's mentioned and described in this ad as a 2003. Here's the ad

https://www.canadiancyclist.com/classifieds.php

I thought it was a 2003 because when my wife bought it I vaguely recalled that it was a 2003 frame. Turns out that she bought it in 2003 from a used sporting goods store. Turns out that it is probably circa 1999. So much for my memory duh

It's probably circa 1999 because it has a 1" steerer tube.

Now I admit, again, that I know diddly squat about road bikes. The buyer was quite choked and wants his money back. At first, my reaction was "buyer beware". But he pointed out that I said it was a 2003 in the ad. When we met, I verbally mentioned that I thought it was a 2003 but frankly that I knew very little about road bikes and we weren't the original owners.

I spoke to a friend of mine who knows a bit more then I do about road bikes and my friend said that, to roadies, the difference between 1" and 1 1/8" steerers is quite a big deal. Now the buyer is a light guy and my initial reaction to the complaint about the steerer was - so what? It can't possibly make a difference can it to a light guy?

It was then also pointed out that the buyer may have a valid concern re future support of a 1" steerer standard and a 1" fork.

Thanks for putting up with the long-winded background

Here's my question:

1. What is the value of a Litespeed Tuscany titanium road bike with decent condition (but admittedly ridden - not raced) 105 components. Is that figure about right? US 870 or so I would guess.

2. I'm inclined to give the guy his money back. At first I didn't think the frame year was a big deal - a ti frame is for life and all that jazz but now I am given to understand that the difference on steerer size is a big deal. Am I on crack here?

I do want to do the right thing. Guidance and insults appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
IMHO- I believe that you mirepresented the item that you were selling, knowingly or otherwise. I would feel the same way as your buyer. I would offer to make it right, refund/return or price adjustment. He was under the impression that the bike was 4 years younger when he bought it from you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts