Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-posted because this has more chance of a reply I hope.

This is dumb because it shows how little I know about road bikes.

I sold this bike to someone. It was my wife's bike. It's mentioned and described in this ad as a 2003. Here's the ad

https://www.canadiancyclist.com/classifieds.php

I thought it was a 2003 because when my wife bought it I vaguely recalled that it was a 2003 frame. Turns out that she bought it in 2003 from a used sporting goods store. Turns out that it is probably circa 1999. So much for my memory duh

It's probably circa 1999 because it has a 1" steerer tube.

Now I admit, again, that I know diddly squat about road bikes. The buyer was quite choked and wants his money back. At first, my reaction was "buyer beware". But he pointed out that I said it was a 2003 in the ad. When we met, I verbally mentioned that I thought it was a 2003 but frankly that I knew very little about road bikes and we weren't the original owners.

I spoke to a friend of mine who knows a bit more then I do about road bikes and my friend said that, to roadies, the difference between 1" and 1 1/8" steerers is quite a big deal. Now the buyer is a light guy and my initial reaction to the complaint about the steerer was - so what? It can't possibly make a difference can it to a light guy?

It was then also pointed out that the buyer may have a valid concern re future support of a 1" steerer standard and a 1" fork.

Thanks for putting up with the long-winded background

Here's my question:

1. What is the value of a Litespeed Tuscany titanium road bike with decent condition (but admittedly ridden - not raced) 105 components. Is that figure about right? US 870 or so I would guess.

2. I'm inclined to give the guy his money back. At first I didn't think the frame year was a big deal - a ti frame is for life and all that jazz but now I am given to understand that the difference on steerer size is a big deal. Am I on crack here?

I do want to do the right thing. Guidance and insults appreciated.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
You know, anytime I buy a bike there is a ton of research going on. I come here and get opinions, I search the internet for old pics. I try to learn exactly what it is that I am buying. There are many bikes that I see listed that aren't what they say. That is not the sellers fault. Many bikes are sold out of pawn shops and places where the seller is just selling an item. It is the buyer who must know what he is spending the cash on.
So, no. Do not give back the money. The buyer should be SOL for being such a quick sucker. By the way, nice bike.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You advertised it as a 2003. You did not deliver what you said. What kind of reputation do you want, a scamer or a straight up guy? Keep the money, you're a scamer, give it back , you're straight up. You may want to talk to the guy and admit the mistake about not knowing the year and renegotiate the price. How would you feel if you bought a brand new 2009 car only to find out it was a 2008.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I say keep the money. It's still a Litespeed with decent components. The issue of 1" vs 1 1/8" is very small in the grand scheme of things. If the guy pisses and moans about the headset he could put a Chris King in it and never need replacing. If he's wanting a different fork for it there are plenty of custom or off the shelf options for 1" threadless. If he was hoping to get a more modern Litespeed for what you're asking he needs to be turned in to the RCMP for smoking crack.

If it were me I'd offer to buy it back for $700. Otherwise he should get on with his life.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The ad I saw didn't mention model year, and if you said you only thought it was a 2003, then the guy is whining about nothing.

Litespeed Tuscany - 105 - 53cms

Pics here https://www.leelau.net/Misc/roadbikes/litespeedIMG_7285.jpg https://www.leelau.net/Misc/roadbikes/litespeedIMG_7286.jpg https://www.leelau.net/Misc/roadbikes/litespeedIMG_7287.jpg Ladyridden. Rider is 5" 9" with 30cms inseam. Components are mainly Shimano 105 w/ SRAM 12-25 road cassette. Not ridden in winter.

Price: $$ 1000
Plus the bike looks like it's in mint condition too - time for him to get a life.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Either take it back whole and ban that person from any contact from you further, or keep the money. Screw renegotiating on price, that's just insane. There are tons of potential buyers out there. Also, you have no reason to provide customer service. You are not a store. Too many people out there trying to buy low priced one-offs yet expect the retail store experience too.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Give the money back; the product was misrepresented. This is NOT "buyer beware"; he trusted YOUR description. Your saying you "thought" it was 2003 leads the buyer to assume you're correct until proven otherwise, which you were. Give him his money back with a smile and you'll be a better man than most.

$1k-%1500 would be a fair price. 1" steerers are a big deal to some, not a big deal to others, though it IS the industry standard now.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I can't believe you would even ask the question. ABSOLUTELY you have to give him his money back. Even if you didn't mean to, you still advertised the wrong year. You lied. Even if you didn't mean to. It would be criminal not to give him his money back. Seriously.

And it really concerns me that you have received so many replies that say "no big deal." That really makes me worry about buying off ebay or similar sight-unseen venues. You guys are a major disappointment.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Wow, surprised at some of you guys. Yeah, the buyer didn't do more research about the bike, but neither did the seller. If the seller didn't know, he should've put "I do not know what year it is." or something to that effect. But what it comes down to is, THE SELLER DID NOT REPRESENT THE PRODUCT CORRECTLY. Give him the money back and stop trying to justify this.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
What part of ebay, craigslist or any other non-retail method of selling items requires truth in advertising? I feel you made an honest mistake and the error is truly insignificant. The buyer has no legal recourse given the nature of the mistake. As others said "buyer beware" covers the sale.

If you had advertised it as a Ti Litespeed and feigned ignorance only to be discovered that it was a Steel Litespeed then we'd all have different answers. but the size of a bearing surface and the involved fork and stem should NOT be an issue. There are new replacement bearing options, new replacement fork options and new replacement stem options should the buyer wish to change any of the three. All of which could be a significant upgrade if he wanted to spend the money.

This buyer really irritates me. I'd have slammed the door in his face already.

·
Registered
420 Posts
TWB8s said:
What part of ebay, craigslist or any other non-retail method of selling items requires truth in advertising?
You're right. I see scammers on there every day. :rolleyes:

--CRAIGSLIST TERMS OF USE

You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content:

i) that is false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, misinformative, or
constitutes "bait and switch";

--Using eBay
While using eBay, you will not:

post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libelous content (including personal information);

But I'm surprised some are actually looking for specific rules that say we need to tell the truth.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I'll take him at his word when he says this...
I thought it was a 2003 because when my wife bought it I vaguely recalled that it was a 2003 frame. Turns out that she bought it in 2003 from a used sporting goods store. Turns out that it is probably circa 1999. So much for my memory duh

It's probably circa 1999 because it has a 1" steerer tube.

Now I admit, again, that I know diddly squat about road bikes. The buyer was quite choked and wants his money back. At first, my reaction was "buyer beware". But he pointed out that I said it was a 2003 in the ad. When we met, I verbally mentioned that I thought it was a 2003 but frankly that I knew very little about road bikes and we weren't the original owners.
How do any of CL's or ebay's rules apply to his honest mistake.

For f^ck's sake, it it fit anyone in my household I'd buy the damn thing just to shut everyone up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
TWB8s said:
How do any of CL's or ebay's rules apply to his honest mistake.
First, YOU were the one that brought up eBay and CL rules.

TWB8s said:
What part of ebay, craigslist or any other non-retail method of selling items requires truth in advertising?
That's what I was referring to. Secondly, honest mistake or not, it's still a MISTAKE. Where is your sense of morals?

TWB8s said:
I'll take him at his word when he says this...
Yeah, the buyer also thought this.
TWB8s said:
For f^ck's sake, it it fit anyone in my household I'd buy the damn thing just to shut everyone up.
No, you wouldn't. :p

·
What it is
705 Posts
Be a stand-up guy and profit

The buyer didn't do his homework. The picture is not a 2003 frame. But I would offer him his money back because you will be able to sell it pretty quickly.

Send me a PM. I might be interested in the bike.

Ken

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
While what he posted was later determined to be false, there was no intent to be deceptive, misleading, deceitful, or misinformative. It was the truth as he knew it.

And when they met, he qualified his statement about the date, saying he thought it was a 2003, but wasn't sure, and he wasn't the original owner. So far, it's the truth as he knew it, but this should have set bells off for the buyer, because now the buyer knows that the date information could be wrong.

The seller told the truth as he knew it. The buyer knew the information could be wrong, but bought anyway. The deal is above board, and I wouldn't give the money back.

·
Registered
420 Posts
mohair_chair said:
While what he posted was later determined to be false, there was no intent to be deceptive, misleading, deceitful, or misinformative. It was the truth as he knew it.

The seller told the truth as he knew it.
That does not make it true. Which means it's false and misinformative.

And I can see maybe being off by a year or so, but 4 years?

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
jd3 said:
You advertised it as a 2003. You did not deliver what you said. What kind of reputation do you want, a scamer or a straight up guy? Keep the money, you're a scamer, give it back , you're straight up. You may want to talk to the guy and admit the mistake about not knowing the year and renegotiate the price. How would you feel if you bought a brand new 2009 car only to find out it was a 2008.
Kind of reminds me of Specialized selling 08 langsters as 09. They havent made the Langster Seattle since 08.

I say contact the buyer and let them know whats up and make an offer to give some money back. You don't have to do anything but its the right thing to do.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Give the guy his money back and resell it . You will get good money for the bike regardless and giving him his cash back leaves no question in your mind of whether you did the right thing.
On a side note, I wonder if this guy that bought it knows much about cycling to begin with . He should have known it was a one inch and also should have been able to find out model year.He sounds like a dumb schmuck who makes knee jerk purchases.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
palu said:
That does not make it true. Which means it's false and misinformative.
This boils down to intent, and there was no intent to deceive.

Defining this only in black and white terms is itself deceptive and does not acknowledge the facts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.