Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not posted in quite a while, but I just wanted to share this story that made beleive that not all people are evil and self centered on the road.

So, yesterday i'm out on a course I've ridden a hundred times before. While going through a neighborhood area, I come to a "T" intersection where I'll turn right. After stopping at the stop sign (trackstand), i begin to proceed. I look up and see the grill of a Ford pick-up heading straight for me! The guy is cutting the corner into my lane to make the turn onto the street I was coming off of. He sees me at the last second and swerves, while I was about to go into the yard adjacent to the curb. Collision avoided, I threw my hands up in a " what the hell" gesture. We both go on. About fifteen minutes later, while going through a near-by street, I see the truck coming up in front of me (on his side of the road this time!). He rolled down his window and motioned for me to stop. So, I stop, expecting this guy to give me a ration about "riding on his roads" or some ******* crap. But to my surprise, he is VERY apologetic and seems really concerned that he was not paying enough attention to miss me to begin with. Then he says that he will be doubly watchful for cyclists in the future. I tell him not to sweat it and shook his hand.

Made me feel like not ALL people are arrogant, self-centered a-holes. Besides, if I got beat-up everytime I made a mistake, I'd be "Black and Blue" all the time.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lesson to be learned

It takes a lot of sack to turn around and do that. And very well done, too.

That's the kind of thing that passes on good Karma, because I bet OP will have a bit more of a positive attitude in the future about other people on the road.

Like I said, it takes a lot of sack to go back and apologize, but if it helps the other guy have a better day today, and a better feeling tomorrow... well, I'm sure... I mean SURE... that there are times when I could or should have done the same.

It's the kind of thing that makes for a better world.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've had a couple experiences where folks have apoligized to me. It really makes you feel good to know that all cage drivers aren't the a holes we sometimes make them out to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.