Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. I put the trainer in our carpeted family room. As recommended I used a floor mat under the trainer but the rear tire rubs when I sit up or sprint hard.
View attachment 275811
I knew this might be issue for heavy riders (I weigh 198lbs.) but wanted the Rock and Roll because of the good reviews.

I read on the Kurt Kinetic web site that if this happens to tighten the rear bushing bolt and loosen the front bushing bolt. The problem with that approach is the front bolt would not be torqued to the proper spec and the rear would be over torqued? Which means the bushings would be compressed differently. (The manual says to torque the bolts to 35 ft lbs.)

I went a different route and added large flat washer under the front busing to elevate the wheel.
View attachment 275805
On a concrete floor the rear wheel measured 1-1/4 inches off the floor before adjustments and without me on the bike.
View attachment 275803
I first tried a 2” diameter washer 3mm thick then reassembled the trainer. The 3mm washer raised the rear wheel about ½” for clearance of 1-3/4” at the rear wheel. View attachment 275812 View attachment 275813
View attachment 275804
I felt I wanted a little more clearance just to be safe, so I tried stacking a second washer. But that was too thick and I found it difficult to torque down the two bolts evenly and the bushings were compressing at different angles. Next I tried a larger 2-1/4” washer which measured 4.6mm thick.
View attachment 275807
After reassembling, and torqueing the bolts to the recommended 35 ft lbs the tire clearance was now 2-1/8” off the floor. The increased tire clearance of an additional 7/8” was much better.
View attachment 275808
View attachment 275809
No problem with the rear tire touching the mat with my weight and the trainer felt the same.
View attachment 275810

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I've been fortunate not to have this problem yet, but for precautionary measures I have an actual mat underneath the trainer. By the way, I initially used Rubino Pro 3's in my R&R trainer (same color too), but I found they slip when I pedal hard and with sudden impulse. I switched to the Continental trainer tire, and it works a lot better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been fortunate not to have this problem yet, but for precautionary measures I have an actual mat underneath the trainer. By the way, I initially used Rubino Pro 3's in my R&R trainer (same color too), but I found they slip when I pedal hard and with sudden impulse. I switched to the Continental trainer tire, and it works a lot better.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still trying to get the tension right on the rear wheel and felt it slipping too. I was thinking of getting a trainer specific tire.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have the Continental tire on mine too - no problems with it - about 1200 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.