Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wait until it's cold, then I use it matter of fact I have the Kurt Kinetic one as well. I prop it in front of my large screen TV in the basement, or I listen to my ipod. I also have a few DVD's that I bought a while ago on ebay that show different parts of the country as u would see while riding a bike..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here's a few that work for me, YMMV.

1.) Try to go to the bathroom before starting.
2.)Setup trainer in front of big TV with awesome sound system
3.)Ironing board/table next to trainer with remote(s) keyboard, mouse, pitchers of energy drink
4.)Don't use trainer in the dark even though it's tempting while watching movies and some spin classes are done this way.
5.)Only get off bike before planned time is done if house is burning down. It's ok to take a rest as long as you stay on the bike.
6.)For long sessions dial it back , to an almost embarassing pace if you were outside, considering that there is no coasting this makes up for the lower intensity.
7.)Change pace and stand up often. I use a wider saddle than is on my road bike too.

So far my record is 3.5 hrs and 2600 kJ.

Edit: again for the long sessions, make sure you have fan and towels. Wipe sweat off as soon as possible. You may think you're good because you have a mat or are on concrete but it is a good way to funk up your shoes if you're not careful.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. What's the problem with riding a trainer in the dark?

(I don't own one of the accursed things, but am thinking about buying one.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will watch a football game and do "commercial intervals". You will want to plan to do a specific interval for each workout - low velocity, big gear, high speed spin, out of the saddle sprints, whatever. During the game I am riding tempo but then at a commercial I go to my interval of the day. With a football game (or some sport) commercials are scheduled around the game so they may come in rapid succession or they may be a little while in between. This way I am hammering during the commercials and recovering during the game when I want to listen anyway.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I would pick up a variety of DVDs and see what works for you. For instance, I have Spinervals and CTS videos for targeted workouts, Classics videos (Sunday in Hell, Stars and Watercarriers, Road to Roubaix...) for inspiration, touring videos for scenery, and regular movies for mindless distraction.

Mix it up, just like you would when you're riding on the road. It's all too easy for trainers to become stale. The mental game of staying on the trainer day after day, week after week is harder than the intervals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hulu worked for me, got to watch the shows I missed and started saving my shows until my trainer rides. Shorter commercials as well.

Now though, I live in the desert so I don't do trainer rides, I get to ride everyday that I want to which is awesome!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is a HRM sufficient for doing intervals on a trainer? Meaning, does your HR rise fast enough to a targeted range at the start of an interval?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It probably depends on how long your intervals are and how large your HR zone is. I just looked at a test of an interval on my trainer. I tried to keep 90 rpm. I was at 135 bpm and 230 watts. I switched the resistance so that I pretty quickly went up to 300 watts and my HR followed very quickly to 155 bpm. However it kept going up for 4 minutes until it stabilized around 161-162.

If you want, let me know what you want to do and I can give you some plots. It might just be individual to me though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Again, it just might be individual to me, but I've had so many successful and unsuccessful situations, this is what I found.

There seems to be a sweet spot where you need just enough focus on the act of pedaling, but if you focus too much on it you can't maintain that focus for extended periods of time. In the dark I'll watch a movie or TV, it just seems like I'm more into watching the TV or the movie than if I'm doing the same with the lights on. In the dark without watching a TV or movie I can get amazingly focused on what I'm doing, but then I have the opposite problem being that I can't hold it for hours at a time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It's all about finding distractions and the right mind games to play with yourself to pass the time.

Assuming you are sane, sitting on the trainer sucks no matter how you slice it.

Music helps me. And I keep thinking of why I'm doing it and how much better it will make my spring once I get out on the road. It's kind of like sitting through a chick flick on a date. It can never be fun, but if you remind youself of the benefits to be reaped it's not that bad.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Heat effects

cru_jones said:
Is a HRM sufficient for doing intervals on a trainer? Meaning, does your HR rise fast enough to a targeted range at the start of an interval?
The problem with HR on an indoor device is that it is difficult to regulate your temperature and HR is fairly temperature sensitive. As far as your HR tracking your interval effort; it depends on the length of the interval. For short intervals, perceived exertion will likely be a better measure.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
To truly make it more productive and enjoyable:

1) Don't do garbage miles indoors. There's really no reason to. Run or ski outdoors. Swim indoors. Your mental health and aerobic fitness will be all the better for it. And in many cases your over all health will improve.

(Exception to the rule: short and sweet rides when you just want to get up to speed a while. Then, by all means, watch teevee, listen to music, whatever. But these should be 20-45 minute sessions, no more. Anyone should be able to handle half an hour.)

2) When you have some real work to do on the bike, get on your trainer and prepare to kick your own ass. Structured workouts that take full advantage of the level of concentration possible on a trainer can be very productive. Look for some workout suggestions (for example, try Arnie Bakers') or write your own -- no one gets bored between intense intervals. If your'e bored on your trainer you're wasting your time. Work harder.

·
Registered
138 Posts
www.thesufferfest.com

Cheap videos for download, no annoying Tony Horton types being annoying, the videos have fun footage of bike racing and such, videos have a sense of humor, and best of all they will rip your legs off. They're great for the trainer.

I won't put in epic long rides on the trainer. Unbearable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts