Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in components and wrenching a couple of days ago but I thought I might get a little more help or first have knowledge here.

I am looking at getting a Chris King NoThreadSet for my Specialized Allez Sport. I have e-mailed Specialized and they tell me that international frame manufacturers have gone to a 34.0mm head tube diameter. They go on to say that this means that I have to custom order an oversized headset from King.(They kept their cups at 33.9mm) Supposedly you must do this directly from King because they don't sell them to local suppliers. Does anyone have experience with this? I am trying to avoid ordering the wrong parts and I don't have a set of calipers to measure my frame with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
kml said:
I posted this in components and wrenching a couple of days ago but I thought I might get a little more help or first have knowledge here.

I am looking at getting a Chris King NoThreadSet for my Specialized Allez Sport. I have e-mailed Specialized and they tell me that international frame manufacturers have gone to a 34.0mm head tube diameter. They go on to say that this means that I have to custom order an oversized headset from King.(They kept their cups at 33.9mm) Supposedly you must do this directly from King because they don't sell them to local suppliers. Does anyone have experience with this? I am trying to avoid ordering the wrong parts and I don't have a set of calipers to measure my frame with.
Have you emailed CK. I had a question about getting some custom drilling on a set of their hubs and they answered my email about 2 hours into their business day. The guy who made the reply knew exactly what I was talking about and he helped me find a solution, even though it turned out the best fix was going with a White Industries hub, one of their competitors.

I would imagine the guys at King are up on all the diameters and can tell you what to do. BTW, I actually doubt that you would be able to pick up the 1/10mm on calipers due to manufacturing variances and the general accuracy of most calipers.

Talk to King, they may have some simple solution like using 'form-a-gasket' or a tiny shim of some sort. Also, if international frame makers are creating a new spec. then King won't be far behind with a fit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
kml said:

Greetings. I don't want to be negative, but why on earth would you put a $150 headset on a $900 bike. This is a serious waste of your $.

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
critchie said:
Greetings. I don't want to be negative, but why on earth would you put a $150 headset on a $900 bike. This is a serious waste of your $.

Cheers

Critchie,

The nice thing about the CK headsets is that they will outlast 3-4 bikes (whilst still feeling new)...no rag against the other MFG's out there, but I love mine on my MTB (and wish I had one on my roadie), they're smooth!

Peace

-Jay

·
Registered
282 Posts
giveme2wheels said:
Critchie,

The nice thing about the CK headsets is that they will outlast 3-4 bikes (whilst still feeling new)...no rag against the other MFG's out there, but I love mine on my MTB (and wish I had one on my roadie), they're smooth!

Peace

-Jay
I hear you, but it's still a $900 bike and the money would be better saved for a $2000 bike. Additionally, depending on the specific HS in the Allez, the CK may not even fit.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts