Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Phil Wood grease on King hubs? They advertise thin lube, almost like Mavic mineral oil. King mx manual insists that only their lube is thin enough to not cause hubs to stick??? I am new sealed bearing to hub service so any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
This is a guess, but based on lots of experience...

I haven't used it, but I've used all kinds of lube on many different hubs over more than 30 years of cycling, and I haven't ever been able to feel enough difference to matter. In my speed-crazed days I used 30-wt oil, and when i was commuting in salt air I used boat trailer wheel bearing grease. That's about as wide a range of viscosity as you'll find, and while I could feel some difference when I rotated the axles by hand, I couldn't detect it on the bike. I've seen people squirt WD-40 into dry hubs to stop the squeaking, and I wouldn't do THAT, but otherwise.
FWIW, I've also built up hubs with Phil's Tenacious Oil when I ran out of grease late at night. It made me nervous, but it didn't seem to do any harm. My impression, entirely unencumbered by hard data, is that the stresses in bikes are pretty low relative to the capacity of the bearings, and slippery enough is slippery enough.

yobiker111 said:
Has anyone used Phil Wood grease on King hubs? They advertise thin lube, almost like Mavic mineral oil. King mx manual insists that only their lube is thin enough to not cause hubs to stick??? I am new sealed bearing to hub service so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You can get the King hub grease directly from Chris King. It is different from anything else I've seen. Don't know how important it is that you use it though.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts