Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of Chris King Hubs laced to Velocity Aerohead rims?
I am looking for a light wheelset to train and race on. I live in a very hilly area and weigh 163. I only hear perfect things about King hubs. Do I go Open Pros or Aeroheads? Thoughts?

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
BhamBike said:
I am looking for a light wheelset to train and race on. I live in a very hilly area and weigh 163. I only hear perfect things about King hubs. Do I go Open Pros or Aeroheads? Thoughts?
I have built several sets with those parts and they are well liked. I do suggest one of the offset drilled Aeroheads for the rear. It is not mandatory but it will build a more durable wheel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Excellent choice!!! I just built up a set of blue Chris Kings with Aeroheads (offset rear) and DB14 spokes for my new Trek 2200. I love the wheels and they built up wonderfully. This will be the first time I've used the Aeroheads and they seem like great rims. Can't really say how they hold up yet, but from what I've heard I don't expect any problems. I've had a set of King hubs on my cross bike before and they are great, it doesn't get any better then King. They are a little loud, but once you get used to the almost instant engagement of the freehub everything else seems very sloppy in comparison. After using King hubs for a while now, I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to anything else.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BhamBike said:
Well how would the King/Aerohead setup compare to highend factory X Lites or SLs?
FYI

I built up king hubs with an aerohead front and aerohead OC rear and Sapim CX-Ray spokes with polyax alloy nips. Front 28h 1x, rear 32h 1x ND 3x D, they came in at 641gm front and 860gm rear. Total weight 1501gm no tape no skewers.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sorry to disagree

BhamBike said:
I'm not a fan of hubs that use an aluminum freehub body because the cogs can (will) dig into the edges of the splines and damage them. This is why Shimano never made an aluminum freehub body until 10 speed - when they made the splines deeper. Of course, if you are using 10 speed, or Campy, nevermind.

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nessism said:
I'm not a fan of hubs that use an aluminum freehub body because the cogs can (will) dig into the edges of the splines and damage them. This is why Shimano never made an aluminum freehub body until 10 speed - when they made the splines deeper. Of course, if you are using 10 speed, or Campy, nevermind.

Good luck.

Ed
King does have a stainless steel version of the freehub although its a little heavier. I don't think the AL version will be a problem anyway. Its still pretty damn strong and you don't hear many reports of their al freehub bodies being damaged by cogs in either road or mountain wheels.

·
Registered
21,580 Posts
King hubs are fine, but . . .

Do they really offer anything over Campy Record or DA? Check the weights WITH skewers. Campy and DA weights include the skewers, so you need to knock about 120 gm off their weights to get an honest comparison with King. At that point, you'll see that you're paying a lot of $$ for not much weight savings. Performance of the King hubs has no benefit over Record, for sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Kings are still a little lighter then DA/Record after adding 104g for skewers (Salsa stainless Flip-Offs) Do they offer anything over the others....I don't know. I find the almost instant engagement of the freehub to be very nice and by comparison makes the others feel much less precise. Does that really matter, only you can decide. I beleive that the Kings are the very best hubs that are available, I do beleive them to be slightly better the DA/Record, but that small increase in quality/performance does come at fairly high price. To me it's worth it, I love my King hubs and am glad I chose them. I can find no fault in the logic of using DA or Record instead though. I just like the Kings and wanted the very best, not because I needed it but because I wanted it and could afford it....plus they come in pretty colors!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts