Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Chris King classic hubs I used for MTB before the days of disc brakes. My questions is has anyone used those hubs for a cross wheelset? If so what would be a good match for a rim? What sopkes would you use?

I ask this because I'm building a bike up using road parts and have a set of old road wheels which I have a feeling will not last the season.

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, I know some who have, I have a SS set being built right now. However, you need to be sure either your frame is spaced to 135mm, or that you can change your hub to 130mm with a new axel.

I'm having them built with Mavic tubular rims, pretty simple, likely double-butted spokes, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just built up an older set of King road hubs for this season. They are laced to Sun Vista Cruisers with revolution spokes and alloy nips. Raced them Saturday and Sunday and they are excellent! Probably will have to rebuild the hubs after the season. We'll see how well the seals do in 'cross conditions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
one_speed said:
Yes, I know some who have, I have a SS set being built right now. However, you need to be sure either your frame is spaced to 135mm, or that you can change your hub to 130mm with a new axel.

I'm having them built with Mavic tubular rims, pretty simple, likely double-butted spokes, etc.
You don't need a new axle, you just need a new end cap.

Chris King hubs are the best. The end.

·
Registered
434 Posts
fishman473 said:
Soo... how do you get the end caps and how much are they?
I know I've seen them online. Or you can likely have your lbs order them for you. Might be able to get them directly from King as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts