Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
3,494 Posts
It seems like they do resurfacing work on Kings Mountain every year. Hopefully they will do the top part this time!

·
Registered
278 Posts
The amazing thing is I have not gone up kings in ??? 2 weeks and its been a week plus since I did OLH.

Actually the true amazing thing is how that doesn't bother me and that my bikes may not come out of the garage until the next group ride.

Thank goodness the database is working again.

G

·
francois said:
They'll be there all week. Thank you very muchhhh.

Asphalt. Not chipseal..

fc
Nice to see they're actually using asphalt somewhere still. Chipseal is a joke!

On a related topic, I did my daily after work climb of Hwy 9 yesterday & they're finally starting to repair the one-lane washed-out section. They moved the concrete barriers in the middle right to the double yellow & they have an excavator in there digging out the wash-out...yahoo! Guess they're actually going to try to repair it before the rains start. Thank God, I really hate being stopped there on my descent & having cars catch up.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Power Play said:
Nice to see they're actually using asphalt somewhere still. Chipseal is a joke!

On a related topic, I did my daily after work climb of Hwy 9 yesterday & they're finally starting to repair the one-lane washed-out section. They moved the concrete barriers in the middle right to the double yellow & they have an excavator in there digging out the wash-out...yahoo! Guess they're actually going to try to repair it before the rains start. Thank God, I really hate being stopped there on my descent & having cars catch up.
final-friggin-ly. It's unbelievable that no work has been done there at all when there's so much road construction everywhere else. That is a major annoyance and danger to have that part of highway 9 shut down to one lane.

I thought they were waiting for winter :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Power Play said:
On a related topic, I did my daily after work climb of Hwy 9 yesterday & they're finally starting to repair the one-lane washed-out section. up.
Christ, that thing has been there for forever and a day. It'll be nice to see it finally squared away

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pokey said:
Anyone know if they are done? I might head down it this weekend
Some people are saying it's done. But then I'm hearing too that it's been chipsealed. Actual reports please if you visit it this weekend.

fc

·
the other Derek
415 Posts
KMR chipsealed

francois said:
Some people are saying it's done. But then I'm hearing too that it's been chipsealed. Actual reports please if you visit it this weekend.

fc
Reliable source says Kings Mtn Road has been chipsealed. I'll probably reroute today's descent to Skyline just to be safe.

·
Registered
278 Posts
climbed and descended it today.

they chip sealed/oiled the whole road. It was miserable climbing it. I wasn't going to descend it but I wanted shortest route home. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it was not a super fun time.

Road was wet too, so going slow was forced for 2 reason. Some corners are definitely sketchy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice riding the coast route with you guys. Hope I didn't make you wait too long at the top of Tunitas. 10-15 minutes?

Derek had this masochistic idea of climbing up skyline to head down Page Mill. The extra climbing was tough, but the descent down Page Mill was warm and dry and free of Chipseal :)

Good times...

·
Registered
5 Posts
francois said:

fc
(Long time lurker here...)

I visited Kings this past weekend and can confirm that the roads have been chipsealed.

Word of warning though as I don't think it's completely set - the roads were marked with signs reading "Fresh Oil" and my bike is covered with tiny, little brown specks. :cryin:

·
3,494 Posts
mellum76 said:
(Long time lurker here...)

I visited Kings this past weekend and can confirm that the roads have been chipsealed.

Word of warning though as I don't think it's completely set - the roads were marked with signs reading "Fresh Oil" and my bike is covered with tiny, little brown specks. :cryin:
Thanks for the info. Did they do it top to bottom with chip-seal? I'm surprised that they needed to do anything on the bottom since that's been repaved in the last couple of years. I think I'll avoid for a while, though the second low-key hill climb is on this hill. At least this road gets enough car traffic to bed it down quickly.

I've had my (older) bike splattered in the tar/oil on Highway 84 a couple of years back. It was a pain to clean off. Even worse were the fairly new tires that got absolutely caked in sticky crud.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ukbloke said:
I've had my (older) bike splattered in the tar/oil on Highway 84 a couple of years back. It was a pain to clean off. Even worse were the fairly new tires that got absolutely caked in sticky crud.

WD40 cures all

·
3,494 Posts
heythorp said:
WD40 cures all
Didn't cut it this time. I used citrus degreaser, and I even resorted to sanding down my tires to make them round again!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Climbed Tunitas and descended Kings today.

Tunitas has been "standard" chip-sealed from about when the redwoods start to the very top (about 6 miles of it). But it has been swept and the loose stones are few on the steeper bits. It gets much worse on the top part after Star Hill Rd where there seem to be gravel accumulation in corners that can be slippery. I wouldn't feel confident descending any of Tunitas, though.

Kings Mtn looks like it has been chip-sealed and then a layer of "oil" sealant added on top. It was actually pretty nice to descend today. Only a few loose stones here and there (nothing much to worry about) and much smoother. As noted above, the lower part hasn't been touched. Hopefully, it will get another sweep and it should be great for descending.

·
3,494 Posts
ratpick said:
Climbed Tunitas and descended Kings today.
Great info - thanks. So on Tunitas did they chip-seal over the nice new surface that was put down earlier on this year and also last year? Perhaps they feel that they can preserve that underlying structure for longer by cheap chip-seal over the top. Hopefully they will oil seal over the top like on Kings Mountain, though suspect not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, they fing chip sealed a large portion of Tunitas. I don't know why they did this after laying the asphalt earlier this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts