Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
mellowman said:
My bro is looking to get a handbuilt wheelset. He wants a light comfortable clincher alloy wheel, and he weighs about 180lbs. He runs Campy and wants Record hubs, so 32h. He wants aero spokes, so Aerolite or CX-Rays. Thus the only question is which rims?

Kinlin 19mm w/hidden nipples 395g
pros: light, cheap. aero'ish
cons: not sure about the width (external, internal anyone know?), hidden nipples more expensive and won't be able to true on the road, though with 32h this shouldn't be an issue if one breaks.

Kinlin 22mm 390g
pros: light, cheap
cons: 20mm wide, probably won't ride as nice as others.

DT RR 1.1 single eyelet 415g
pros: wear indicator, reviews indicate they roll smooth, 19.4 width, not sure about internal width (anyone know?)
cons: seems rims weigh closer to 430g now, may need double eyeleted version in rear but this wheelset with the RR 1.1 would be pro built by someone with great reputation.

Kinlin 27mm 430g
pros: aero'ish, strong rim, confirmed 19.4mm wide, 13.7mm internal width so should roll well.
cons: Heaviest, effected more by crosswinds (relative to others in this list) which is an issue as these will be ridden mostly along the coast.

I lean towards the 19mm versions for lightness, aero'ish'ness and slightly more comfort from longer spokes (all wheels will be 3x all round and shooting for low spoke tension of ~90kgf front/110-115kgf DS). Also gives me a chance to build hidden nipple wheelset which I've never done.

But the Kinlin 27mm is more aero for only a 70g increase in weight. Just not sure how different the wheel would feel with this stiffer rim in terms of comfort and handling. Stiffer is not always better overall and with 32 spokes even the 19mm rims should be more than stiff enough.

Then there is the DT RR 1.1, a solid well made rim that I wouldn't even have to bother making and won't cost him much more than the other options.

So just not sure which to go with. He values handling > comfort > lightness > aero'ness. Though I think in handling there is a lot of overlap with comfort and lightness.
I am using a 30mm Niob and I really don't feel the affects of crosswinds over the 25mm or 24mm verions I have used. So the 27mm should be fine. 99% of my riding is on the coast were we get very strong crosswinds (this keeps me off deep CF wheels for now.)

Those new rims are sweet, semi aero, strong and a good weight. Also comes in silver in case that might work for him.

·
Registered
838 Posts
mellowman said:
Kinlin 19mm w/hidden nipples 395g
pros: light, cheap. aero'ish
cons: not sure about the width (external, internal anyone know?), hidden nipples more expensive and won't be able to true on the road, though with 32h this shouldn't be an issue if one breaks.
I believe this rim is being discontinued so that me be something to keep in mind just in case. This is probably the weakest rim out of your selection. Most are 395 to 405g real weight and hold well. The internal nipples are actually a good thing on such a light rim. I have seen some of the rims that were drilled for regular nipples crack around the spoke holes.

mellowman said:
Kinlin 22mm 390g
pros: light, cheap
cons: 20mm wide, probably won't ride as nice as others.
From the few pairs I have built it is a much stiffer rim then the 19mm niobium rim. All of the ones that I got have been under 390g and I even got one that was under 380g. The ride is not going to be any different than the other rims.

mellowman said:
DT RR 1.1 single eyelet 415g
pros: wear indicator, reviews indicate they roll smooth, 19.4 width, not sure about internal width (anyone know?)
cons: seems rims weigh closer to 430g now, may need double eyeleted version in rear but this wheelset with the RR 1.1 would be pro built by someone with great reputation.
These are the strongest rim out of your list. The real weight of these is 440g for the single eyelet and 465g for the double eyelet, add 10g per rim for the silver ones. The rear should be built with the double eyelet version or it will most likely crack at the eyelets eventually.

mellowman said:
Kinlin 27mm 430g
pros: aero'ish, strong rim, confirmed 19.4mm wide, 13.7mm internal width so should roll well.
cons: Heaviest, effected more by crosswinds (relative to others in this list) which is an issue as these will be ridden mostly along the coast.
I ride the 27's currently and do not notice them being affected by crosswinds at all.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
For what it's worth in the cross wind dep't ...

I have two wheel sets - a set of Mavic Aksiums with flat aero spokes. Not sure of rim depth, but not nearly as deep as....

A set of Reynolds Alta Race with what I've been told are 30 mm Niobium rims, same count spokes as above, but conventional round spokes.

I've found a night and day difference in cross winds especially. The Aksiums would buck me around big time, the Reynolds very little effect from the wind. One has shallower rims, but flat aero spokes and feel the cross wind much more than the other which has much deeper rims, but low gauge round spokes.

So in the OP's scenario, I think the aero spokes he's looking at will affect the handling in crosswinds more than the rim depth, within the type of rims he's looking at.

Wonder if anyone else has had similar experience?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have a set of Nio 27's laced to WI hubs with Cx-ray spokes. Great wheelset. I've only gotten a few rides on them, but my last ride was very windy and I did not notice them being overly sail-like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.