Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Kinlin 30 w/tune huds vs. Neutron Ultra

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Lab Worker 
#1 ·
i can get a set of Kinlin 30 rims and tune hubs for about $1000 or a set of 2009 Neutron Ultra for $780.00. i have heard that the braking surface on the Kinlin rims is a little soft. i am about 185 lbs and i need to make sure the rims last and brake like Campy or mavic rims.

i need opinions on these 2 set of wheels to help me make a decision.

#5 ·
1000 for kinlin with tune hubs? seems high to me. also, the kinlin 30's will be more aero, maybe weigh about the same as neutrons? campy wheels would go nice with your bike.

i've got a set of kinlin 30mm with WI hubs, laser spokes 18/24, weight is less then neutrons, just around 1450?, can't remember for sure

#8 ·
def custom, but personally i would skip the tune hubs...

ligero offers his hubs which frankly are better - in triplet and colors (well, red IIRC) for less than $1k.

or you could go cheaper with WI hubs or similar...

its funny u talk about rims that last. With custom, u can take any risk, since a new rim costs $50 or so... with campy u are pretty much on your own if you break or wear out a rim.

#9 ·
wankski said:
its funny u talk about rims that last. With custom, u can take any risk, since a new rim costs $50 or so... with campy u are pretty much on your own if you break or wear out a rim.
Yep, the Mavic / Campy business practise is to make repairing a wheel so expensive that the user just buys a new pair instead.

My vote would be for the KinLin's built by someone like Ligero or rruff.

Koolstop salmon brakepads treat the KinLin rims very well and still provide excellent brake performance in any modern brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.