Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built up a set of wheels using the Kinlin tubular rims? I am considering building up a set for 'cross season and have liked the clincher version of this rim on my roadbike. Any recommendations on appropriate spoke count for 'cross? I imagine I'll use DT hubs so I can swap out the hub body between campy and shimano.

Thanks.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've got a Kinlin tubular set I raced on all last season, worked flawlessly - 24front 28 rear Sapim CX-Ray spokes (I weighed 165 down to 150 now). I'm building up a clincher set now for training/pits and am going to keep the same spoke count but use the less expensive Sapim Lazer spokes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear. I think that is my plan. Now I just need to find a hub set with a swap-able hub body. DTs look like the obvious choice but they are a little spendy. With cx-ray spokes I'm gonna be close so paying for a set of carbon deep section tubulars. At least these should be bomb-proof.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't really think you need to go with CX-Ray, but they sure are strong. My set is a SS build using White Industries hubs and came in ~1450 grams (I think) and $410.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've got the Single Speed hub that accepts a thread on freewheel, so a different beast all together. I'm quite happy with mine but have heard mixed reviews of the standard road hub as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
question

What's the advantage of using these rims over Mavic Reflex tubulars?
(other than just being anti Mavic?)

Just curious as I'm looking at a 2nd set of tubulars for cross.

Michael
www.MLKimages.com

jgrantv10 said:
Has anyone built up a set of wheels using the Kinlin tubular rims? I am considering building up a set for 'cross season and have liked the clincher version of this rim on my roadbike. Any recommendations on appropriate spoke count for 'cross? I imagine I'll use DT hubs so I can swap out the hub body between campy and shimano.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rim depth

I believe the deeper section rim (Kinlin) should make for a stronger wheel compared to the same hub and spoke # choice for the reflex. The reason for this being hard for me to explain and a bit beyond my pay grade. But wheelbuilders have explained this to me, something about a triangle that gets created between rim, hub and spokes etc.

The benefit to the Reflex however is that it is wider and provides a larger contact patch for tubular gluing. I haven't heard any complaints about the width of the kinlin, however.

I would go with whatever width is closer to what your first set is to make wheel changes less problematic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.