Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to try my hand at building a wheelset. I'm 170 or so and like a semi-aero wheel (currently running Velomax/Easton Circuits, that are 28mm deep). I was thinking of getting some CK hubs or maybe some WIs off Ebay. I'm trying to do this relatively on the cheap, as money is tight these days. Would building them up 32 spoke 3-cross be complete overkill for my weight? Would it be that much more durable than say a 24f/28r setup? Also, if I went 32 3x, could I go with a lighter/thinner spoke to balance things out?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Since this is your first build it might be a good idea to include a few extra spokes. You could use 2.0/1.7-1.8 on the DS and 2.0/1.5 spokes elsewhere.

Generally I'd spec 20f and 28r for someone your weight... all light spokes. 24f and 32r should make a very solid set.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. You did spec me on xr-270s 20f/28r with CX-Rays. Just haven't had the cash to follow through on that quote. And nothing against having someone else build them, but I'd love to try. I have no doubt you'd do a better more efficient job than I could.

So 24f/32r would be very solid for my weight. Would you say solid enough to even possible handle some Cross racing and light trail use? My thought on the 32s front and rear was the "ease" of building up two identical rims. But if that would be way overbuilt for me, then maybe I should seriously consider a 24/32 set up.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you are on a budget, I'd stay clear of Chris Kings..... great hubs, but pricey, even used on Ebay. I have a set of wheels built with these 32 R / 28F using Velocity Aeroheads. They are really stout. WI hubs are great, but you don't see them on ebay too often. I've got two sets of wheels built on those, one by Ron, and they are my favorite wheels. Both of these have Niobium 30 rims.
I weigh 175 and all my wheels, except the Chris Kings, are built with 24R and either 18 or 24 Front hubs, so I'd think that 24/32 would be fine on the road. I don't do any cross or off road riding, so have no idea how they would perform there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.