Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a set of xr270 rims to be laced up and the hole offset is almost imperceptible. Am I just not seeing it correctly - Are the holes offset?

This will be my first build with non-eyeleted holes. The holes “look” clean - is there a reason to “deburr” the hole where the nipple will seat?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure about the xr270 rims, but my Aeroheads (also no eyelets) were tough to notice too. I put a spoke through the hole and threaded a nipple. Then I hung the spoke and changed the angle of the rim, watching how long the nipple would rotate in the rim. You can also give the spoke a tug towards one side and feel if it's a natural path, or if the spoke is bending at the nipple. Play around with it and you should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohdee said:
Not sure about the xr270 rims, but my Aeroheads (also no eyelets) were tough to notice too. I put a spoke through the hole and threaded a nipple. Then I hung the spoke and changed the angle of the rim, watching how long the nipple would rotate in the rim. You can also give the spoke a tug towards one side and feel if it's a natural path, or if the spoke is bending at the nipple. Play around with it and you should be able to figure it out.
Sounds like a good process - I'll give it a shot. - thanks

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Might not have offset

I am sure that some more experienced builders will chime in but not all rims have the spoke holes offset. I have a set of the Kinlin 30mm rims at home and will check them after work but I don't remember them having any offset either....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks to everyone - laced up the first one last night.

As noted -they are clearly not offset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts